Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sony SDM-HS73 17" LCD Controller board  (Read 3073 times)

Dead_reckon

Sony SDM-HS73 17" LCD Controller board
« on: December 20, 2008, 10:02:50 AM »
Alright, got this LCD panel from my brother, his friend gave it to him after finding it in his garage. It does not work, he said I could keep it if it didn't, so I figure if I can repair it for about $100 or so I'll be good to go.

Monitor Model: Sony SDM-HS73 17" LCD TFT display, manufacture date October 2003, serial 6099251.

Cause of failure: Unknown

EDITED

My diagnosis of the monitor:

Screen goes white when turned on, colored bars appear throughout the middle of the screen. [EDIT]When the monitor is plugged in, I noticed a high pitch noise from the inverter, same thing when its turned on. Though, you'd think if the inverter was bad it would simply shut off, wouldn't it? The noise seems to be coming from a coil on the board, I'll snap a photo of the inverter and controller and link it below. The coil in question will be circled, maybe some guru here can guess what it does exactly.[EDIT] Screen then goes black but the cathode in the bottom of the monitor stays on. Menu button doesn't work, the monitor does stay on however, which seems to indicate the inverter is good.

Probable causes:

Controller board
Bad cable (unlikely, but plausible)
Or, in a very unlikely case, the controller board isn't getting power from the inverter. Which could be a bad cable also.

Any help you could give finding a replacement controller and/or inverter for this monitor would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT

Here's the link to my photobucket album for the monitor
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 04:03:10 PM by Dead_Reckon »