Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't turn on.  (Read 2316 times)

911j

Topic Starter

Starter

Computer won't turn on.
    « on: December 27, 2008, 03:38:06 AM »
    Hey Everyone,

I have an old HP Pavilion a815n. The only upgrade I have ever done to it was Ram about 2 years ago. I just recently returned from Iraq and the Computer needed a restore. I did a back up of all the nice stuff, pictures and what not, and reset it back to the factory settings. My wife and I both have Laptops so this computer was not our everyday user. I got my wife a new desk for Christmas the other day so I unplugged the computer and everything else on her old desk and set it to the side. After completing the new desk I hooked everything back up the way it was before I had started. The desktop wouldn't power up. I pulled the side of and blew years of dust out of every little place, then checked all the connections. Nothing was unplugged, out of place, and there was no leakage of any of the capacitors. The light on the power supply blinks randomly. I live in Germany, and the power in my house is 110 and 220. The power supply has settings for both. At first I though that there was not enough power going to it so I tried to turn it on plugged in to 220. The light would still just blink. Its funny, because when I unplugged the power cable, then unplugged the motherboard, the green light was solid. Do any of you have any other suggestions as to what else I could try? Like I said before, it is not my main computer, but I had my set up to just brose the internet and message and stuff. All my tech buddies from the Army are home in the states or on leave for the Holidays. Thanks and Late Merry Christmas/Happy New Year..

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Computer won't turn on.
    « Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 07:00:33 AM »
    I would borrow a known good PSU of the same or greater wattage and swap it in there...
    This will let you know if it is the culprit.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

911j

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 07:22:25 AM »
      I was actually going to head down to the recycle point here on base and see if they have any old CPUs lying around. Thanks for the suggestion. I will let you know how it turns out.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 07:43:21 AM »
      Some components especially PSU's will die from just sitting around without any usage...especially if they are cheap ones.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "