Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No Ethernet Port Detected  (Read 2769 times)

Bernie 2

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

No Ethernet Port Detected
    « on: December 28, 2008, 07:35:32 AM »
    I have a Dell Dimension 3100, Windows XP. I recently had "blue screen" problems which required me to perform a clean install on my PC.  I have reinstalled most of the stuff that was on there but when I come to re-install my modem i get the message "NO ETHERNET PORT DETECTED" when obviously there is one there as it worked OK brfore the Clean Install.

I do get another message from my install disk saying......go to control panel....network connections....you will see a list of connections....right click....click enable.

But I just get a blank list, nothing to click enable on. I have scoured the Dell support site without success. Any help much appreciated.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: No Ethernet Port Detected
      « Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 08:00:40 AM »
      Look in device manager [right-click My Computer / Manage / DM.  Is your ethernet port detected there?

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Bernie 2

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: No Ethernet Port Detected
        « Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 08:23:11 AM »
        Look in device manager [right-click My Computer / Manage / DM.  Is your ethernet port detected there?

Alan <><  :D

In Device Manager I get the message

.....The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

.....To reinstall drivers for this device, click "REINSTALL DRIVER"

When I do this I eventually get the options.......Install the software automatically (recommended)
                                                                                   Install from a list or specific location

I cant do either because I dont have the software, or I obviously cant accesss the Internet. Ideally I could do with a link to download the correct software on another computer.

thanks for your help