Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can't find portable media player in control panel  (Read 4280 times)

kaw

Topic Starter

Starter

can't find portable media player in control panel
    « on: December 31, 2008, 08:54:21 AM »
    I have an hp pavilion a250n  running microsoft windows xp.  The problem started when I went to open my portable media player, usually found in the control panel, to put music on my mp3 player.  The device simply wasn't there! My antivirus (wildblue security center; f-secure)) scanner recently found a virus which couldn't be deleted. Could this have something to do with the program's disappearance? I just can't figure this out. I thought the media device was integral to the computer's hardware, and to have it just disappear is a mystery.  I have looked in the recycle bin and in every list of programs I can think of. Any ideas?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: can't find portable media player in control panel
    « Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 05:54:56 PM »
    I would try re-installing the media device's software/drivers...
    If it's USB don't connect it until the software tells you to.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

kaw

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 10:56:12 PM »
      Thanks very much for the reply.  Problem is, as far as I know the portable media player was always there in the control panel and I don't think I have anything to reinstall it with.  I will go over the devices I have and check again with their installation guides.  In the mean time I was trying to look into every system file etc...to see where it went awol.  Only to find how much more complex this seek and find can be for one only familiar with the computer.  However, it does make me want to understand more.  Again thanks for the response.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 11:21:09 PM »
      No problem and good luck...
      In the meantime look for the device on the web and see what the manuf. has in the way of updated drivers and software.
      BTW Welcome Aboard !
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "