Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard drive dies during boot  (Read 3373 times)

ary002

Hard drive dies during boot
« on: January 01, 2009, 12:38:12 PM »
the Hard drive on my HP pc  cuts off before the system can boot up. I get the option of whether or not to start the computer in safe mode and once I get to the loading screen the hard drive begins to blink and beep and cuts off. I have tried disconnecting everything from the back of the hard drive except the power cord and the same thing happened. Any suggestions??

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Hard drive dies during boot
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 01:56:40 PM »
Without knowing more details of your system only a general answer can be given.
It would seem that you are sure the problem is with the drive.
Te most conservative thing to do at this point would be to get another drive as a spare. It would not have to be a new drive, just one that works good and has enough space for your needs.
Then you would gently remove the old drive and replace it with the new one. Of course, you would have to install the Windows system onto the new drive. If all goes will, it would tend to approve that there was a  problem with the drive.
Here is a link. Replacing a Hard Drive
http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_hard.htm
Hope this helps.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Hard drive dies during boot
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 04:10:16 PM »
the Hard drive on my HP pc  cuts off before the system can boot up. I get the option of whether or not to start the computer in safe mode and once I get to the loading screen the hard drive begins to blink and beep and cuts off. I have tried disconnecting everything from the back of the hard drive except the power cord and the same thing happened. Any suggestions??

are you referring to the Hard disk drive INSIDE the computer, or the actual Computer case itself?

Hard drives don't blink OR beep...
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.