Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Maxtor Mini Not Responding  (Read 2789 times)

fordee9r

Topic Starter

Rookie

Maxtor Mini Not Responding
    « on: January 01, 2009, 01:29:50 PM »
    I received a Maxtor One Touch 4 Mini (250GB) for Xmas, installed it but can't get it to work. My Computer & Device Mgr. both recognize it. I did the Self Diagnosis and it says the drive is working properly. I downloaded the complete user's manual and found the details for performing a Simple Backup. I followed step by step till I got to where it says "Enter a name for your Backup Plan and click OK". It then says "The Backup window now offers the options of editing your backup settings and......"

Only problem is that after clicking "OK", no options appear! I've been to Seagate's website and found no help. Is anyone familiar with this drive and can tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Maxtor Mini Not Responding
    « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 11:40:22 PM »
    I'm not sure, but did you enter a name like it asks?

What Operating System are you using?

fordee9r

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 10:39:47 AM »
      I tried it both ways. By default, "Our Backup" is entered in the name box. I also tried changing it to "My Backup" and still got nothing. I'm running XP Home with all the service packs and updates installed.

It's also set to perform a simple backup every nite at 10:00 and this AM there was nothing in the backup log. Several times I've clicked "Backup Now" and get nothing. Should I completely uninstall it and start over?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 11:15:51 AM »
      That's what i would try...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

fordee9r

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 04:21:42 AM »
        I finally got time to spend on this problem. I powered off the computer and disconnected the cables. I reconnected the cables in the proper order to a powered USB hub. I checked and the drive (K:) shows up in Device Mgr. & My Computer. I tried to reinstall the software and got: "Error 1603 fatal error during installation. Consult Windows Installer Help (msi-chm or MSDM). I Googled the error message and got a bunch of people trying to sell their registry cleaners. I ran my own registry cleaners thru Registry Mechanic and CCleaner. All problems they found were repaired and I still get the error message when I try to reinstall. Seagate has a download for software that has been deleted. Can I delete the current software and download new? If so, how do I proceed? ???

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 07:16:40 AM »
        Christmas wasn't that long ago...i would return the drive for a replacement.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 07:22:50 AM »
          Ditto Patio...

Alan <><  :D
          I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!