Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Drive Failing  (Read 3379 times)

jbrigden

Topic Starter

Starter

Hard Drive Failing
    « on: January 01, 2009, 04:39:44 PM »
    I have a Toshiba Satellite 5105-S901 that seems to have a failing (or possibly completely failed) hard drive and I am looking for a couple of answers regarding things I can do to either see if the drive is dead or if I can resurrect it at least for a few months, or a link to someplace that gives good suggestions for a compatible drive. At this point in time, replacing the whole computer is not really an option.

Computer runs Wndows XP Pro, 60 GB hard drive, 1 G Ram.

Symtoms:
    1) Computer started running really slow a couple of months ago with no apparent reason. Have run up to date versions of McAfee Online Antivirus and spyware (current subscription), SuperAntispyware, Malware Antibytes, ATF, CCleaner, etc. with no indications of any virus, spyware, malware problems.
    2) Got an error message that there was an error loading a file and that it was possibly caused by a hard drive problem and to run chkdsk (not exactly that wording but that ws the gist of it).
    3) chkdsk came up with lots of sectors that could not be read/bad sectors. I was not present at the time the diagnostic finally completed due to how slow it ran, but I saw over 2 screens worth of that before I had to leave
    4) Computer will not boot now. It starts to load windows and then goes back to the screen that says it did not load fully last time. I have tried starting in safe mode but it hangs up part way through and will not go any further.

Questions:
    1)Will reformatting the drive possibly fix a problem so the computer will run for a few more months - data recovery is not big issue, some stuff I would like but nothing vital (I do not really think so, just wanted to ask for other opinion)
    2) If the drive is dead, I would like a good link to list of drives that would be compatible...does not necessarily need to be bigger/better/faster as this would just be short term.

Thanks for any input, and yes I know the computer is getting a little long in tooth but not an option right this minute to buy a new one.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Hard Drive Failing
    « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 04:53:16 PM »
    do you also have a desktop machine you could use? their are some fairly cheap adapters to allow installation of notebook hard drives into desktop machines. This would allow you to recover that data you want.

Also, since you don't have anything to lose by doing so, you could get limited success by reformatting; it could last another month, or just a few days, you can never really know.

I'll see what I can find for compatible hard drives for that laptop.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

jbrigden

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 04:55:44 PM »
      Thanks, I may try the adapter to see if any data is recoverable.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 04:58:41 PM »
      after a quick search- it looks like you should be able to install any IDE notebook drive. a replacement drive (80-90GB) could run between about 50-100$, depending on where you buy it from.

Trizle1

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 05:03:14 PM »
        If you ran chkdsk and discover your HDD has too many bad sector, then thats an indication its time to backup file and get a new HDD. The life span of a Hard drive is +/-4year depending on usuage. Since you're not ready for upgrade, then you can just simple purchase a compartible HDD. But I'll advice you to upgrade, coz a time will come when you'll need space to store data. Reformatting is an option, but the HDisk might work or crash beyond remedy. Getting a HDD of more capacity is the best bet. Saves time & money;) Ovie aka Trizlemputer will run for a few more months - data recovery is not big issue, some stuff I would like but nothing vital (I do not really think so, just wanted to ask for other opinion)
        2) If the drive is dead, I would like a good link to list of drives that would be compatible...does not necessarily need to be bigger/better/faster as this would just be short term.

Thanks for any input, and yes I know the computer is getting a little long in tooth but not an option right this minute to buy a new one.
        [/quote]

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 05:15:03 PM »
        If you ran chkdsk and discover your HDD has too many bad sector, then thats an indication its time to backup file and get a new HDD. The life span of a Hard drive is +/-4year depending on usuage. Since you're not ready for upgrade, then you can just simple purchase a compartible HDD. But I'll advice you to upgrade, coz a time will come when you'll need space to store data. Reformatting is an option, but the HDisk might work or crash beyond remedy. Getting a HDD of more capacity is the best bet. Saves time & money;) Ovie aka Trizlemputer will run for a few more months - data recovery is not big issue, some stuff I would like but nothing vital (I do not really think so, just wanted to ask for other opinion)

[/quote]

which boils down to- "what BC_programmer said, with less punctuation and run on sentences"

jbrigden

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 05:28:01 PM »
          Thanks. Know that upgrading would be best and I dream a lot, but at this time the replacement HDD is all I can really go  :-[
          That is really about what I though...replace the HDD and get an adapter to try and recover any data off the other drive.
          Thanks for the input.

Trizle1

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 11:42:51 PM »
            Do you have a problem with my posts¿