Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Invalid Drive: F:\?????  (Read 2165 times)

sunnshynne

Topic Starter

Invalid Drive: F:\?????
    « on: January 09, 2009, 07:56:14 AM »
    Hey! I took home my office desktop and bought the software (netgear usb card) to access wireless internet from our Negear Wireless Router, after loading the CD-Rom, it begins the installation process but stops at the installing part and an error message pops up that reads this:

Error 1327. Invalid Drive: F:\

I don' t know what this means, we tried another CD-Rom (computer game) and it did the same thing but we can load CD (music) and it will read it and play it.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Invalid Drive: F:\?????
    « Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 08:02:02 AM »
    I may have a solution, but it involves editing the Registry. (Found it with the use of Google).
    However, unless you know what you're doing when you edit the registry, I suggest putting that aside for the moment.

Was F:\ always your CD Drive?

Can you try a System Restore to a few days before the problem?

sunnshynne

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 08:14:17 AM »
      There isn't an F drive listed that I can find, the drive for CD-Roms is supposed to be D or E, i disabled this drive and then loaded the software again, it did not even read it at all then, so I went back and enabled that drive again, it will read it but when it begins the install portion that error message pops up. This is the 1st time I tried to install anything since I took the computer home so I am not sure how far back I should do the system restore. My son tried to install one of his computer games (that works on his laptop) and it gave him the same error message, he says he has never heard of an F drive. The system is Windows XP Professional

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 03:30:23 AM »
      Ok, right now, create a restore point.

Go to Start --> All Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> System Restore.
      Select Create a Restore Point and click Next.
      Name it Backup or whatever you wish.
      It will then create the restore point.

Now close the System Restore window and go to Start --> Run and type regedit and press Enter.
      Navigate to:
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
      Do not change anything.

Now compare your window with my attached picture. Are there any differences?

[attachment deleted by admin]