Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer not booting properly  (Read 3517 times)

Tracker

Topic Starter

Computer not booting properly
    « on: January 10, 2009, 03:49:31 PM »
    I am currently having a problem.

This all started about a month ago when I decided to get a new computer.  I got a Biostar GF7050V-M7 SE motherboard and a Intel 9300 processor as a package deal.  I also got 2 sticks 2 GB ram and a Geforce 8800GT video card.  I got everything together, installed it in my old case, and it worked beautifully, for about 3 hours.

My computer then randomly reset.  At first I thought it was the memory, but the memory check turned up clean.   The next time it reset I let windows do the little problem report thing.  The error it gave me said that my motherboard did not support my processor, and this was causing crashes.  I found this odd because my motherboard and processor were sold as part of a package deal, but sure enough when I checked ( http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/cpu_support.php?S_ID=356 ) my CPU wasn't supported.  I sent an angry email to the company that sold the two together as a package, and they never got back to me (no surprise).

So, I decided to buy another motherboard that would support my CPU, and I bought the Biostar G31-M7 TE ( http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/content.php?S_ID=363 ).  Its basically the same thing as my last motherboard in that it takes the same ram, video card, etc.  The only difference is that this one would support the Intel 9300 processor.

After waiting a week for delivery, I uninstalled my old motherboard, put it back in the box, and installed my new motherboard.  I then hit the power button and the fans turned on, the LEDs on my case lit up, and everything looked fine.  But my monitor didnt display anything, the laser pointer on my mouse didnt light up, and my keyboard was unresponsive.  Normally when you hit the Caps lock key a little LED on the keyboard turns on; this didnt happen.  So, I uninstalled my new Biostar G31-M7 TE motherboard, and reinstalled my old Biostar GF7050V-M7 SE motherboard.  Sure enough it booted up fine.  I again swapped back to the 'new' motherboard and it didnt work, then switched back to the old one and it started working.  I came to the conclusion that I was sent a bad motherboard.  So, I boxed it up, and sent it back for a replacement.  I haven't used my desktop since then because I kept getting annoyed with the crashes and decided to stick to my laptop until I got the replacement motherboard.

Finally, yesterday got a replacement in the mail.  I once again uninstalled my old Biostar GF7050V-M7 SE motherboard and installed my new Biostar G31-M7 TE motherboard.  And again the same thing happened.  The LEDs on my case turned on, the fans spun up, but nothing was displayed on screen.  My laser mouse didnt light up, and my keyboard didnt get power either.  Highly annoyed I took out my 'new' Biostar G31-M7 TE motherboard and reinstalled my old Biostar GF7050V-M7 SE motherboard.  But this time, the same problem happened again.  The lights turn on, the fan spins up, but nothing gets displayed on my monitor and my mouse and keyboard dont turn on.

So unless both of the motherboards I have been sent were duds, and my old motherboard just failed, I dont think this is the problem.  It just seemed to fail, then work, then fail, then work, then fail again.  And this time I cant get it to work again.  I talked to a friend who had the exact same error, and he told me that he just jiggled the power cable on the back of his hard drive and that worked.  I tried the same with no success.  My only guess is that I have some short in my power supply that is caused by a loose cable, resulting in erratic power delivery.  But it seems to me that a bad power supply would just not work at all, it wouldnt spin up the fans and hard drives, and turn on the LEDs, but not provide power to the mouse.  I came to ask if anybody here has experienced this sort of problem, and what you might do to fix it.  Is it really my power supply that is the problem, or am I missing something?

xavier

Re: Computer not booting properly
    « Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 04:19:55 PM »
    Even if the fans ect do work it is still possible that it is the power supply. Is the memory right for the board?Have you tried using only the basic components,cpu, heatsink with fan,v card hooked up to monitor,1 stick of ram, leaving your dvd cdrom ,floppy,power disconnected. with this basic component set up turn on & see if it posts.

Tracker

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 04:54:58 PM »
      Yes, I tried it with just the Motherboard, cpu, fan, and monitor.  I tried both the graphics card, and the motherboard's built in graphics card.  Same result.

I dont think the memory is the problem because it was working with my old motherboard only 2 weeks ago, where as now nothing works.

xavier

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 05:09:33 PM »
      Well you have done some home work, you have to move on by getting hold of a power supply.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 05:12:17 PM »
      Motherboard standoffs a;; in place ? ?
      Was thermal paste applied correctly ? ?
      Is this a new or used PSU ? ?
      4 pin ATX power plug connected to the MBoard ?
      Same with the vid card ?

What brand and wattage is this PSU ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "