Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems building computer; Too many cables, not enough brains.....  (Read 2531 times)

mvollmers

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hi, all.  I'm working on building my first computer, and ran into a problem.  Here's what I've got for hardware:

Apevia X-Sniper case
    Asus M3A78-EM motherboard
    Raidmax RX-530SS power supply

Also have a Sata2 HD and a DVD burner, I can pull the models but really don't think it matters.

here's the problem.  Got everything put into the case (surprisingly easy) and started to hook up cables.  motherboard instructions talk about having power pins Pwr_fan, CPU_fan, and CHA_fan so that it can use it's SmartQ fan option (I assume).  I got the CPU fan plugged in, but the other two are three pin (grnd, 12v, rotation).  Naturally, there is no instructions for the power supply, just cables.  There are no 3-pin connectors.  The fan on the cpu has a standard 4-pin plug, and there is a cable to tie that to the PS.  I have cables for the drives also, so I think I can figure that one out (although is it better to run one cable for HD and one for DVD or put both on the same?).  the PS fan is a mystery, since I'm not sure about where to put that on the supply side either.  I got the SATA cables finally figured out, but this one has be stumped.  I suspect that I need some cables, but I might just not be seeing something right.  Any suggestions?  Much appreciated.  Thanks!

kimmy

Greenhorn

Re: Problems building computer; Too many cables, not enough brains.....
      « Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 10:05:38 PM »
      Hi,
      Plugin CPU fan to motherboard, make sure redwire correct ,(see motherboard handbook)
      HD needs own cable PS, CD needs own too.
      very esasy if you read through motherboard handbook
      some wire from case (power I/O) ned rewire if need
      try next step, I may help.
       8)

mvollmers

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 08:38:56 AM »
        The motherboard manual is where I got the info, and it is very unhelpful about the fans.  The issue I have is how to connect a chasis fan with four pins into a motherboard socket with three.  and the PS fan is already powered by default, but somehow I'm supposed to hook up something to drive it from the motherboard.  that's where my confusion comes.

kimmy

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 08:06:20 PM »
          If You have drives with 40 pin cable, need to buy adapter convert to SATA (HDD) $15.00-$20.00
          Other fans can plug in 12v ports, if need buy some Y cables to get more plugs
          some fans they have combine cables you cam plugin anyway,
          Please give me some more details?