Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: master/slave  (Read 3572 times)

nomad

master/slave
« on: April 15, 2005, 01:13:41 PM »
hi guys can you help with this 1
im fitting a new cdrw to my pc .im keeping the existing cd room and adding another drive (cdrw).how do i set this new drive ?master or slave or do i change any other setting ?thanks in advance .nomad.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: master/slave
    « Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 01:23:28 PM »
    nomad..... I would set the new drive as the slave and the existing drive should be set as the master ........
    On the rear of the drive there is a set of pins with a jumper which you set as required .......there should be a diagram of the jumper configuration on the cd drive .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

nomad

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 01:43:15 PM »
    nomad..... I would set the new drive as the slave and the existing drive should be set as the master ........
    On the rear of the drive there is a set of pins with a jumper which you set as required .......there should be a diagram of the jumper configuration on the cd drive .

thanks dl65 .does that mean that both my hard drive and existing cd rom drive should both be set as master and the new cdrw set as slave ?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 02:15:37 PM »
      nomad.......Ok ......You will have two IDE sockets on the MOBO ....one is the Primary and the other one is the Secondary...... What I do .......is connect the hard drives to the Primary and the cd drives to the secondary .....
      So if you had 2 hard drives and 2 cd drives .......
      the connection would be ......
      Main hard drive ( the one with the O/S on it ) would have its jumpers set as Master ...and plugged into the end of the IDE cable which is plugged into the PRIMARY socket on the MOBO ......and if you had a second hard drive it's jumpers would be set as Slave and plugged into the connector in the middle of the Ide cable.
      The cd 's ....... again set the jumpers to master on one and it would plug into the end of the IDE cable which is in the secondary socket on the MOBO ......the 2nd cd drive would have it jumpers set as Slave and plugged into the middle connector on the same ( secondary IDE) cable.  Note......the connectors on the IDE cables should be keyed so they will only go in one way .......unless you have an older machine and in that case the grey ( flat IDE cable ) will have a marker stripe on it to identify pin # 1 ( marker stripe will be either red or black.) If the IDE connectors aren't keyed ..........plug them into the back of the hard drive or cd drive so that the marker ( or stripe ) is toward the 4 pin power connector.

Hope this helps you .

« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 02:16:02 PM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

nomad

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 08:07:41 AM »
      many thanks dl .at the moment as i look inside my pc .
      my hard drive is on its own cable set at master and conected to the ide 1 .and the cdrom is on its own cable set at slave and conected to ide 2 .lost now ?? help  ::)

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 10:58:06 AM »
      Nope.  Look again.  You're confused.  1 drive on 1 cable must be set to Master or Cable Select, not to Slave.
      http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000415.htm