Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Recovering registry and application programs from corrupted hard drive  (Read 2820 times)

welshmike

Topic Starter

Starter

Im a newbie to this forum and am hoping members can help.

My neighbour's PC has 2 partitions, one for Windows XP and application programs (system partition), the other for his data (data partition).
    When he boots his system, Windows XP gets as far as his desktop.
    However his usual desktop does not appear, he gets an empty blue screen. His mouse cursor can be moved across the screen and Ctrl Alt Del brings up task manager.
    I've removed his hard drive and connected it to a second bus on my desktop PC, copied the contents of his second (data) partition to my PC's external hard drive. I also copied as much of his hard drive's first (system) partition as possible onto my PC's external hard drive.
    My plan is to replace his hard drive in his PC and reinstall Windows.
    I'd like to avoid having to re-install all his application programs by copying back his Progam Files folder and his registry entities.
    But Windows Explorer seems to hide all the registry entities from the end used.

Please is there any advice out there on how to get his Application programs running again without having to reinstall them?

Many thanks in advance.
    Mike

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Recovering registry and application programs from corrupted hard drive
    « Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 07:19:28 AM »
    Simply copying the Applications to the machine will not work...they have to be re-installed.
    Here is a program that states it can do it but i have not tested it yet...
    Trial Version...10 tries and it's done.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 07:25:54 AM »
      If I remember correctly Partition Magic used to have a utility built in that did the same thing.  It's been so long since I've use it though... :P

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

welshmike

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 08:33:12 AM »
        Simply copying the Applications to the machine will not work...they have to be re-installed.
        Here is a program that states it can do it but i have not tested it yet...
        Trial Version...10 tries and it's done.

From the description of Application Mover iit does not appear to move or copy the registry. If that is so it won't help solve my neighbour's problem. Also it is the registry on my Neighbour's HDD that I want to backup & restore.
        I know that Linux Ubuntu 8.04.1 can read from and write to NTFS filesystems and may be able to handle files not accessable by Window XP Explorer. However Ubuntu will not run on my desktop as it has a VIA motherboard. I'll try another distro such as Fedora 10 after I've downloaded and burnt the ISO file.

welshmike

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 08:34:30 AM »
          If I remember correctly Partition Magic used to have a utility built in that did the same thing.  It's been so long since I've use it though... :P

Alan <><  :D
          There's nothing like that on my version of Partition Magic 8.0.