Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound Redirection .... for project ( Might need to use 2 sound cards )???  (Read 2677 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
I have a project I am working on in which I need to Play Audio and Receive Mic input at the same time through the sound card for communications, and two applications are competing for the sound card causing issues, its either one app or the other that can initialize the sound card and I cant get them to use the single sound card  at the same time. SO that being said, is it possible to install two sound cards and use a simple stereo phono cable to send the output of the one sound card into the MIC input of the other sound card, and not have the software competing for sound resources.

Windows Media Player ( Playing audio files ) Has to use the primary sound device to play audio that the 2nd sound device will receive.

Yahoo Messenger Voice is the other ( which needs to use the 2nd sound card with the MIC input from the output of the other sound card playing the voice audio.)

Is there a way to specify which application will initialize a specific sound card so that they dont compete for resources?

Any suggestions?

I have this working with 2 computers one playing the audio and the other establishing a Yahoo Messenger Voice link.

*** Ok I might as well explain what i am doing... This is so I can play music at work btw so I can listen to my MP3 collection at home over the internet. I am using RDP to connect to home computer and play audio off one system through the other through Yahoo Messenger Voice ( For Free )...and its legal because I am playing MY CD's that I bought etc and I can only connect to listen to them.

I am the IT Pro at my workplace, and we put up a sonic wall to block youtube and streaming audio...etc, and I dont want to have a system on the DMZ to get audio, and dont want to set up a VPN. This works and I am trying to improve the design to eliminate the 2nd system that is acting as an audio gateway between home and work over Yahoo Messenger Voice... Trying to cram all that into one box and I am thinking that I will need to find a way to designate which audio application will use each specific sound card to eliminate the conflict since they both cant share a single sound card without competing for the resource and erroring out. So looking to set up a DUAL Audio setup and redirect the audio out of one card to the MIC input of the other so both applications will play together in harmony.

There are other methods of playing music at work etc, external HD, Thumb drives, etc, but I really want to go this route of streaming it from home in this method, because the audio is secure and its just a cool setup. Also I can have my audio from anywhere with an internet connection while on the road without the need for local storage of the music etc.

OR if anyone knows of any virtual audio redirection software that would really make this work out well with virtual sound devices, because then the audio played can port directly to Yahoo Messenger Voice without any resource issues. Sort of like a player for Yahoo Messenger Voice to bypass the MIC input, that would be an awesome tool.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
Is there a way to specify which application will initialize a specific sound card so that they dont compete for resources?

Use winamp.

You can set the 2nd sound card as primary for your yahoo messenger, and then under output in winamp preferences, you can set the sound card used to either one.

Hope this helps

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
Will give it a try....Thanks!