Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: clicking noise no start  (Read 2129 times)

rockstar4cs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

clicking noise no start
    « on: January 17, 2009, 05:13:55 PM »
    I have a emachine t1842 running windows xp 512 of ram. It was running normal then when I hit the button

to turn it on there was a clicking noise and a rumbling noise no screen came up no blue screen of death

nothing. The screen didnt even seem like it was registering. So I opened it up took everything out and put it

all back in I turned it on and screen pops up it says Bio's shadowed a bunch of specs poped up on the screen

hit F1 to continue so I did that and the operating system click on I shut down the computer. I turned it on

alittle later and I noticed a smell coming from the fan kinda like smoke so I was thinking maybe the processor

was the problem. So I'm looking at the processor now and the top of it looks like it was glued witch I heard

of heatsinking so I didnt think that was it. The back of the motherboard tho had this streak at the bottom

this white film from where the pins of the processor across the motherboad. Anyone have an idea on what

might have happened or what the problem might be?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: clicking noise no start
    « Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 07:26:03 PM »
    Can you double check to make sure the smell isn't coming from the PSU?

What happened before the problem?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: clicking noise no start
    « Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 06:20:28 AM »
    eMachines are notorious for cheap underpowered PSU's...
    Replace the PSU with a new one of the same or greater wattage and you may get lucky that it didn't take the MBoard out with it.
    Pay attention and take your time connecting everything and you should do fine...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "