Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Volume Icon will not stay in notification area  (Read 2878 times)

Brandy

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
    Volume Icon will not stay in notification area
    « on: January 19, 2009, 11:21:46 AM »

Hi Everyone, this is a long and very difficult problem, I have tried everyone's suggestions and still the Volume Icon is never in the NA after a reboot, it always appears after going to control panel, opening Sound and Audio devices and removing the check mark, clicking apply, replacing the check mark and again clicking the apply.

Would a Windows repair or reinstall help?  I don't want to loose all my present information, but a reinstall would also give me the opportunity to enable AHCI, which I need so my external SATA backup drive can be recognized without having to turn it on and reboot, which is what I have to do now.

Thanks for any help.

Jim

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Volume Icon will not stay in notification area
    « Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 09:41:29 PM »
    XP?

Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
    sfc /scannow
    Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).
    Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
    If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
    If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.

hiloed

Beginner

Re: Volume Icon will not stay in notification area
      « Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 02:15:57 PM »

Go here for help.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/01/04/system-tray-icon-missing-from-system-tray-in-windows-xp

I  went to my network places and disabled the show icons for networked UPnP devices as suggested and that worked for me. I can always enable it if necessary but never needed to so far. Icon problem solved for me since the change.

Good Luck