Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard drive Issues  (Read 2495 times)

Pat Walley

Hard drive Issues
« on: April 19, 2005, 07:09:38 PM »
I just built my first computer and im already having trouble. It cannot seem to detect my Hard Drive (Serial ATA). At first I though it was a faulty power cord, but the drive is receiving power. So I replaced the ATA cord, still cannot detect the Drive. I thought the drive was defective until I tried once and miraculously it detected the drive and booted up windows. No problems while the computer was on either (even managed to play a few games of Unreal Tournament). But as soon as I turned it off and tried to turn it back on, the drive wasnt being detected again. I thought it was maybe a faulty contact on the drive but then why would I only have issues during startup? Im hoping I just messed up somewhere and its not a hard drive or motherboard problem. Any ideas?

The Hard Drive is a Maxtor Serial ATA http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.ba88f6d7cf664718376049b291346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Products/ATA%20Hard%20Drives/Desktop/DiamondMax%2010 and the motherboard is http://abit-usa.com/products/mb/techspec.php?categories=1&model=259.

MegaMaster

Re: Hard drive Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 01:57:16 PM »
I know this one!!!!
First off, Think of it as this.  

The motherboard is most used to IDE HDs, right?  Well, since ATA is fairly new (i think), a lot of motherboards have problems.  

Bad news,  worst case scenario, you're better off using the ATA as a slave and getting a IDE HD just for Windows and put everything else on the ATA.  

Or, you might just need to install the drivers.  That might help!

--------------------
Newbie, at your service! I've blown up 4 computers, learn from my mistakes, and have built 2 computers (1 isn't working though)!!!!
--------------------