Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Acer Monitor Flicker  (Read 8487 times)

HamletDynamic

Acer Monitor Flicker
« on: January 26, 2009, 10:10:37 AM »
Hello everyone, I appreciate you taking the time to read my problem.

I have an Acer monitor, had it for 3 years with no problem.  I recently purchased an entirely new computer and assembled it myself.  Everything worked great for about a week and then my monitor starts flickering and will not stop.  It's tolerable, but I have a feeling it won't go away on its own.  I've tried searching for solutions but haven't found one that fixed my problem.

I've tried messing with the power strip/outlet to see if its a power problem, i've tried turning up the Mhz and consequently turning the resolution down (as my video card won't let me go above 60Mhz on 1440x900.)  Any ideas? I'd like to explore as many option as possible before I order a new monitor.  If this one is going to die, what monitor would you guys recommend? My computer is set up for computer gaming.

Specs:
P5Q Deluxe Mobo
Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 280
4 gigs of ddram, corsair
Monitor is Acer, on my dxdiag file its only registered as a Plug and Play. Are there drivers for this sort of thing?  Have trouble identifying which monitor it is exactly.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Acer Monitor Flicker
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 05:58:08 PM »
Remove all power sources...remove a side panel and take out the vid card and re-seat it...
See if this improves anything.

You may also want to hook up the monitor to another machine to rule it out as a culprit...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Bobb999

Re: Acer Monitor Flicker
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 11:23:16 PM »
FLICKER BE GONE!
I have a new external Acer X183H 18.5" monitor I'm using with a  6 month old HP/Compaq "Presario" laptop.

I've had a similar problem with constant monitor flicker when my laptop is plugged into an AC outlet, but  discovered the flicker disappears completely when the laptop is unplugged and running on battery.

Today I found a suggestion on another site that fixed my flicker problem. It seems the electrical interference causing flicker was created when both units were plugged into the same power bar and wall outlet. As someone elsewhere suggested, I simply plugged the laptop and  monitor into 2 separate wall outlets. It worked like a charm!

I now have my laptop plugged into a power bar connected to one wall outlet, and my external monitor plugged into another one, connected to a 2nd  wall outlet. What ever interference existed before that caused the irritating flicker effect is finally gone!

Here I was expecting I might need to buy new cables, new adapters, or who knows what else...But all it required was the simplest of simple fixes! Yippeeiohkayay.