Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "Access is denied" error message...  (Read 2885 times)

tms5154

Topic Starter

Starter

"Access is denied" error message...
    « on: January 26, 2009, 01:13:56 PM »
    Hello. Recently my old hard drive was put into a new computer, leaving it with two hard drives. I have a pictures folder on my old hard drive that was hidden on the old computer. When I try to open it, I get an "access is denied" message.

I'm using Windows XP Home Edition and I've already tried accessing the 'security' tab by disabling simple file sharing and using safe mode, but neither worked.

Help!

Dias de verano

Re: "Access is denied" error message...
    « Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 01:24:39 PM »

tms5154

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 01:29:52 PM »
      Apparently in Windows XP Home there is no security tab, so I'm not sure how to take ownership.

Dias de verano

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 01:35:17 PM »
      Apparently in Windows XP Home there is no security tab, so I'm not sure how to take ownership.

Were you logged in with admin rights?

Quote from: Microsoft
      If you are running Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has administrative rights in order to access the Security tab. Access to the Security tab is required in order to change security permission.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Hope this helps

When you say "hidden", you don't mean encrypted, or pasword protected, do you? Because if so, you might have to ask the CIA to lend you one of their supercomputers for a year or two.

tms5154

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 01:42:52 PM »
        I've tried that before. Last time it didn't work, and now my computer won't even let me go into safe mode when I start it up.  ???

tms5154

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 01:43:42 PM »
          Sorry I missed your question..

It wasn't password protected or encrypted, it was just only viewable to my username specifically.