Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: no problem just curious if one is developing  (Read 8070 times)

nondaj

Topic Starter

Beginner

no problem just curious if one is developing
    « on: January 28, 2009, 11:32:11 AM »
    My Setup:

Computer Specs:

Dell XPS400 Dimension                     
       XP-Pro    Version 2002  SP2             
       Pentium ® D   CPU 2.80 GHz                                 
    2.79 GHz, 2.00 GB of Ram

E Drive – Sony CD-RW   CRX217 E
                   IDE\CD Rom Sony
    F Drive – HL-DT-ST     DVD+-RW
                   GWA4164B

Video Card – Nvidia GeForce 6800

Sound Card – Sigma Tel High Defin.
             Audio CODEC

Protection Programs installed:
         ESET NOD32 antivirus program
         Malwarebytes
         CCLeaner
         SuperAntiSpyware
         Advanced Sytem Care from OBIT

Why do the logon windows change from time to time?

I experience black screens, blue screens, Windows Logo Screen, a screen which gives a choice of XP logon or safety mode logon but usually goes so fast do not have time to make a choice, and then the regular logon screen to access desktop.

These screens operate in differing sequences much of the time with differing wait times in between their presentation.  Am not experiencing any PC difficulties, however, not sure if this inconsistencey re loggin in is an indication of developing problem or an ongoing situation which needs attention.

Can anyone advise?

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: no problem just curious if one is developing
    « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 07:58:18 PM »
    Download, and install WhoCrashed: http://www.resplendence.com/download/whocrashedSetup.exe
    Open it, click Analyze button.
    WhoCrashed will create report.
    Copy, and paste it into your next reply.

nondaj

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
      OK will do and get back to you.

nondaj

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 09:36:25 AM »
        Have downloaded and installed program you recommended but when I try to click on the Analyze Button nothing happens.  The little green bar at the very top of the screen turns yellow but no other window opens.

Have written to tech support and reported same - waiting for an answer unless you can advise more.

nondaj

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 09:47:03 AM »
          Forgot to ad in case this is helpful:

Have IE6 and SP3  Have avoided installing both due to finding IE7 less easy to use and SP3 gave me many problems.  Have been advised however that MS has gotten many of the bugs out of SP3 so maybe should try again.

Just hate to compromise my PC right now as I use it in my teaching and the semester has just started so am super busy right now developing program.  Will wait a bit to try SP3 should I again have problems.

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 04:54:27 PM »
          For now, you can wait with SP3. Service packs should be installed on flawlessly working computers only.

Open Windows Explorer. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump folder. are there any *.dmp files there?
          If so, zip all of them, and attach them to your next reply.

nondaj

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 05:11:34 PM »
            at C:\windows\minidump - not a file in sight!  :o

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 05:47:27 PM »
            Tell me more about this:
            I experience black screens, blue screens, Windows Logo Screen, a screen which gives a choice of XP logon or safety mode logon but usually goes so fast do not have time to make a choice
            Maybe, you're just seeing regular booting sequence screens?

nondaj

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 10:22:06 PM »
              perhaps so; just sometimes they go fast and I am at my desktop in nothing flat.  Then as the screens progress through logon, find myself waiting and waiting for them to progress.

Again was just curious as to why this happens.  There was for a time when the sequence was out of order but of late it seems to be same screens opening in order.

Certainly not looking for trouble - just trying to understand situation and thus avoid problems if they are developing.

I rarely get that blue screen of death but do get them at times. So far they have not caused serious problems and am now keeping a log of same.

So if all is well thanks for your time and effort in trying to help me understand my PC.  Will just keep on keepin' on unless you have other suggestions.

Again thanks.

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 11:16:45 PM »
              You're welcome :)

nondaj

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 10:07:00 AM »
                One more question - the Who Crashed program I downloaded, is it something I can now uninstall or is it something I can use in future?  Remember I am a novice yet in PC life so interpreting some tech programs is yet beyond me. :P

Always cautious about installing programs and keeping same that might conflict with other software that I have.

ALAN_BR

Hopeful

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 10:25:56 AM »
                  It may be worth viewing the system events.
                  Right click My Computer, select Manage, third item down is Event Viewer.

All sorts of terrible things happen and are buried in the various logs.
                  The only time Windows tells you instead of burying it in the logs is on a BSOD.

Normally the logs are in date/time order, and it can be interesting to see what happened on Patch Tuesday ! !

If you click on the top header "type" above the left column, everything is sorted based upon nastiness, and all the Errors and Warnings will be grouped together.

Quite often a "problem" in one of the logs has no apparent cause, until you look in the other logs for their events at that same time.

Regards
                  Alan

nondaj

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 03:59:46 PM »
                    Well, that was very informative.  But have little clue as to what it all means so that I could avoid what might be coming down :)

And afraid I do not know what what Patch Tuesday is.  Can enlighten?

ALAN_BR

Hopeful

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 04:32:07 PM »
                      Your ESET protection is good.  I use that.
                      I also use CCleaner to remove junk, but it is not intended to provide protection.
                      You also need a Firewall that is better than Windows built in Firewall.
                      I am happy using Comodo.  I have no opinion upon the quality of what you are using.

Patch Tuesday.

If you don't  know Patch Tuesday you don't know what you are missing ! !

This is the magic second Tuesday of the month which sometimes falls on the "Ides of March" when disaster struck Cesar.
                      Patch Tuesday has similar potential for disaster to every Windows computer,
                      it is when Microsoft download security patches to fix the holes for viruses that have been running wild on the internet for the last few months.

I always image my partition before Patch Tuesday because sometimes some computers misfire as a result of a "patch".  If I get a crash I can restore my image and try again.

If you have not been getting the benefit of Patch Tuesday you have a tremendous number of security vulnerabilities in your system, and are more likely to get a virus, Trojan, or something that might cause your symptoms :-
                      "I experience black screens, blue screens, Windows Logo Screen, ... "

You may benefit from a malware check.
                      I am not authorised to advise upon malware procedures,
                      but hopefully an authority will come by and advise.

Regards
                      Alan

nondaj

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 04:57:38 PM »
                        Your post is certainly informative.  Will take all into consideration.  As for Patch Tuesday - had never heard of it.  Must check among my more literate PC friends to see what they do.

I have MalWareBytes, CCleaner, SuperAntiSpyware, and Advanced SystemsCare Pro from Obit - all are protection programs or cleaners etc., and of course ESET for antivirus.  Will think about another Firewall and remember yours.  As a novice it gets difficult when one persons says one thing about a program while another recommends yet another program.

I guess in the end it is a person's personal choice and experiences as to what they recommend.  So I tread slowly and carefully.

Right now am about to experience SP3 again.  Had many problems when I used it before but guess bugs might be out of it by now.  So when work load lightens so I can be sure my PC is functioning well, will give SP3 another whirl.

My work dictates that in order to access the big school PC and download what I need, I have to install IE7.  Had that and did not care for it at all so went back to IE6.  So to avoid IE7, I went to school, downloaded the program I needed to my school address, then forwarded that to my PC at home to work on it.  It all worked out but is a big job to have to do every month to report stats to the school computer.  So may be forced to IE7 in the future just for convenience sake.  :(

Thanks for all your informative suggestions.  Appreciate your time and efforts.