Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Blinking Power Supply Light (kinda long)  (Read 21260 times)

LSF22

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Blinking Power Supply Light (kinda long)
    « on: January 30, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
    Hi, i recently bought a new computer and decided to give my parents my old one. Before doing so, i took the side off and blew out all of the dust. I also took out my video capture card since they wouldnt need it. Well, after all of that i hook it up for them and it wont come on. I check out the back of the PC, and the power supply light is blinking. After some unplugging and plugging in of the power cables from the power supply, i notice the light starts blinking(and clicking) when i plug in the motherboard.

I figured maybe the heat sinc had came loose from the processor after reading some possibilities online and figured i could just but some thermal paste and redo it myself. After applying new thermal paste and getting everything set, i try the computer again and its still doing the same thing. Im frustrated at this point because before i cleaned it out, it worked great.

Since i was able to narrow it down to the power cable plugging into the motherboard, i figured i would mess with it a little. I noticed that as soon as i started to plug it in the light would blink but when i would pull it out and it stopped. Then the next time it would go further before it started to blink. After removing it and plugging it back in i was able to get it to plug in without the light blinking. The computer powers up, works as if everything is fine. I can even shutdown the computer and the start it up days later without issue.

Now for the problem. I was plugging some stuff in earlier and hit the button on my power stick and shut off the juice to my computer. After turning it back on, the power supply light started blinking again. I know i can get it to work again by messing with the cable plugging into the motherboard but i would really like not to have to do this.

I was wondering if what im doing(messing with the cable on the motherboard) could cause problems with the power supply or motherboard?. Also, anyone know whats causing this? Is it a bad power supply? motherboard? something else?

Im sorry for the length of the post, i just figured i would explain the entire situation to try and help with answering the question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Blinking Power Supply Light (kinda long)
    « Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 12:16:18 AM »
    Welcome to the CH forums.

Yes, a kinda long post which describes the problem in detail but...  doesn't give us any details of the pc, the power supply model, the motherboard etc.. etc..   not even the color of the flashing light...

Please read this article...
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

LSF22

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 09:55:16 AM »
      Compaq Presario SR1230NX - Athlon XP 3200+ 2.2 GHz

Processor
      AMD Athlon XP 3200+ / 2.2 GHz

Mainboard
      Chipset type: VIA UniChrome KM400A
      Data bus speed: 400.0 MHz

Power Supply
      Bestec Model: ATX-250-122
      250w

The blinking light is GREEN.

more info on computer here

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 09:05:34 PM »
      Try unplugging the computer, then while unplugged, hold the power button down for about 30 seconds.

Plug the computer back in, then try to boot again.

LSF22

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 08:20:56 AM »
        Gave it a try and it didnt work. i asked my friend the other day what color the light was and he said green, but it kinda looks red to me. im slightly color blind and its hard for me to tell exactly what color it is. i dont know if the colors would make a difference.

thanks for the suggestion.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 08:26:20 AM »
        The name of that PSU does not exactly instill confidence...
        Replace it before you fry other expensive components.
        I'd get at least a 450/500 Watt for future upgrades and don't buy the 20 dollar special.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 08:58:51 PM »
        I have had a few Bes-tecs...only blew up when i pushed them about 100W over the limit, however in saying that...get another to try, from a friend or somewhat, temporarily, before splashing out on a good $80 PSU

LSF22

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 12:25:31 AM »
          i was kinda hoping it was a cheap fix or something was set wrong. ill try to get another power supply to test out but is there any other possible solutions? i can still get my computer to boot up and everything is fine until the power is cut off.

thanks for the answers. im gonna try to research some more.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 12:34:21 AM »
          It could possibly be a self-defense mechanism...ill have a look around.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 12:37:59 AM »
          I found this:

In case there are other Hewlett Packard computer owners that are unable to turn on their computer and are experiencing a blinking green LED light on their power supply, you may not have to buy a new power supply.

There are situations where there is “leftover” power or an electric charge still in the power supply. You need to find a tool to discharge that power. Once it has been discharged, when you plug the power cable back into the computer the power supply will emit a solid green light and you will be able to power back on normally again.

I don’t know what the tool is to discharge the power supply - a technician did it for me. Alas, weeks later, after fussing with the insides of my computer some more I have managed to get it back in a state where the green power supply light is blinking again and I am unable to power up my computer. Wish I had one of these tools…

Lots of the help messages in response to people with this same issue are telling them to just buy a new power supply - that may not be necessary.

But this is basically what I told you to do...by the way...you did unplug it from the wall, not from the motherboard?

LSF22

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 12:45:25 PM »
            yeah, i just unplugged the power cord from the back of the power supply.

i wonder if this was caused by me unplugging the power cord as soon as the computer shut down. maybe that left a charge in the power supply.

thanks for the information. ill get ahold of my cousin and see if he has a tool like that.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 12:57:08 PM »
            Don't waste time and effort on any tool and/or PSU tester...they don't run under load so are innaccurate at best.
            Instead borrow a known good PSU of the same or greater wattage and swap it in there...if the symptoms go away invest in a new PSU.

I usually suggest this first but because your unit was a 250W Bestec which they haven't made in years i figured a replacement was due.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

LSF22

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 05:55:45 PM »
              ok, maybe ill use the one i currently have in my new comp. not sure what it is since i havent checked yet, but it should be better than the one im having trouble with.

ill post the result when i get a chance to test it out.

thanks.

eddie2tuff

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 05:23:29 PM »
              i have this issue .... i relpaced the power supply ,now the pc will cut on but it cuts on and off ...fans kick in then slow down it just sets there doing this for like 5 mn then shuts off i believe i need a motherboard but iam not sure help plz

roadrider2k

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 11:20:11 AM »
              Hello all,

Ok, same problem with a Bestec ATX-300-12Z Rev. BD,  in an HP media center PCm7060n
              Unplugged the PC from the 115 v supply  to install a new graphics card,  GE Force 5200 with 256 MB PCI. 
              Cleaned some of the dust off of the heat sinks. Reassembled the PC.
              Plugged it back in the light on the power supply was blinking and a  relay was distinctly heard clicking in time with the light.  No power up from the big go button.  Unplugged the system
              from the 115 supply and the light was still blinking at a slower frequency.  Eventually slowing to no blink,  maybe, got bored watching the light.

Returned the system to the original configuration, still no help.

Read the post by kurtiskain which included the quote on the HP PC.

Any new ideas?

Thanks
              Mike