Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Keyboard leds flash and select sticks  (Read 2462 times)

rokosz

Topic Starter

Starter

Keyboard leds flash and select sticks
    « on: January 31, 2009, 01:41:07 PM »
    This has been happening for long time, even on a new machine.

I've tried to isolate the culprit program but have been unsuccessful.  And now suspect its an XP or hardware issue.

xp/Pro, MS optical mouse, ms ergnonmic kbd

during input (type or mouse), often but not a set frequency, the keyboard will freeze and all three leds on the kbd will flash on for something less than a second.  Freeze means any keys pressed during the flash are ignored.

Depending on what keys are pressed during/?immedately before the freeze/ the input behavior  (about 1 out of every 20 flahses) changes to a strange type of "Shift" select. eg
    in WinExplorer if one file name is highlighted, clicking any file name above it is the same as if the shift key was held down during the click.
    Likewise, if the up key is pressed 10 times -- the 10 files above the current selection will be highlighted. Press the down key? and the process reverses -- and will then will begun multiple selecting if you continue below the current selection.  The selection point can't be changed -- its like a fixed reference point.  This selection behavior is identical in any dialogue where selection is allowed (text in a document or notepad window, file names in a zip file, file names in a RAR file etc.)  In IE the behavior is also similar:  trying to click on a button will highlight all content between the current posn and where you click.  Note: right click is essentially disabled -- no context sensitive menu appears at any time in any software (that I've experienced)

Solutions that have occassionally worked: pressing the numlock key quickly 10 or twenty times (worked once). Closing windows one by one( worked a few times). Changing the language input layout of the keyboard (worked a few times, but not recently).  Rebooting (always works).
    In time it almost always goes away by itself -- this is partially a function of my impatience and how quickly I reboot.

Has anybody seen this before? Inet searches are so generic its tough to wade through all them in hopes of finding an answer. Whether you've seen it or not do you have an idea of what's up?

thanks.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Keyboard leds flash and select sticks
    « Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 02:01:25 PM »
    Does your keyboard connect to a USB port, or the PS/2 keyboard port?
    (My guess is that it's a USB keyboard.)

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

rokosz

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 02:29:24 PM »
      Oh, yes. This a usb kbd. Can you enlighten me or otherwise direct me?
       :)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 03:34:32 PM »

If you have these on the back of the machine spend 20 Bucks on a PS2 keyboard/mouse combo...everyone should own one.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 03:36:29 PM »
      Other than getting the PS/2 mouse and keyboard, which I also recommend, try unplugging the keyboard from the USB port, and plugging it in again.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 03:57:36 PM »
      my guess would be that's pretty much what's happening- perhaps the keyboard is having problems?

do you hear any sound from the computer, such as the hardware add /remove sounds?
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 04:12:19 PM »

If you have these on the back of the machine spend 20 Bucks on a PS2 keyboard/mouse combo...everyone should own one.

I think i'll start selling these at a hefty discount just for CH Members ! !
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

rokosz

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 06:53:43 PM »
        Ahhh MS. No sounds from the machine/kbd/Add/unplug device.  TheMS ergo kbd is a PS/2 style plug -- but the Dell box has no PS2 connectors.  Don't think its the kbd per se but because I've spilled liquids on this brand/model kbd before and had to replace it.  (I think twice).  Can't remember if this has been happening only since the last spill (quite a few months ago) or it occured with the previous kdb(s).
        Anyway the hardware that might be contributing (apart from the possibility the kbd itself is broken/poorly designed) is the adapter cable I've got for the PS2->usb cx.  That is a Y cable with plugs for a mouse and kbd.  The mouse half is dangling/not used.  Maybe the Y cable and/or unused half is the culprit?

Perhaps a straight through single PS2->usb cable rather than the Y?  Barring that, does anyone know of a native USB ergo kbd?

thanks for the heads' up