Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HD wrong size  (Read 2891 times)

mischi001

HD wrong size
« on: April 24, 2005, 02:49:37 AM »
Hello,
I've got a litlle problem with my second HardDisk.
I've recovered it from an old Compaq PC; it's a Maxtor Fireball 20 GB (ATA I think but I'm not sure). I installed it into my computer (AMD K7 600MHZ, MSI Board WIN98 SE) and it works fine apart the fact that it has only 6 GB of disk space!?
I've already tried to format it and I used Fdisk to delete and renew the partitions but it still has only 6 GB space!
Also my Award BIOS recognizes the HD only as an 6GB HD.

I might also add that the HD is a spare HD which replaced a real 6GB HD in the old Compaq PC. So I wonder if Compaq didn't limit somehow (I can'really tell how) the space on the disk.
Could you help me please?
Thanks,
Mischi001

Computer_Commando

Re: HD wrong size
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 12:55:53 PM »
...Also my Award BIOS recognizes the HD only as an 6GB HD...

If the BIOS sees 6GB, it's not autodetecting properly.  You may have to manually set it up in the BIOS.

Mischi001

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 02:24:17 AM »
Ok,
I tried to configure my HD manually. I looked up the number of cylinders, sectors ... on the product page with the result that Bios showed me the right amount of disk size but Windows 98 SE still refuses to recognize my Hard Disk properly.
I also tried to find a driver for my HD but it seems that in the time of win xp, drivers  are simply history. :(

Thanks anyway for your help,
Mischi001

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 09:18:52 AM »
This might fix the Win98 problem:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000175.htm