Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Re: erase hard drive  (Read 3239 times)

drewdown619

Re: erase hard drive
« on: April 25, 2005, 05:35:38 PM »
You might want to boot up off a Win 98 disk, after that when the computer is done booting, type format c:/s this should format the drive.  HOpe this helps.

Mac

Re: erase hard drive
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 02:42:56 AM »
If the ME system is still operating go into the Control Panel, Add-Remove components, Start-Disk and, using one formatted floppy, make an ME bootdisk.

Leaving the bootdisk in the A: drive re-boot the computer and allow the bootdisk to load. At the choice page choose "Minimal boot" and press Enter.

At the prompt type: A:\>fdisk and press Enter. Answer Yes to "Do you want to enable Large Drive Support?" and see what drives are there. Delete all the drives you see, following the on-screen instructions, in this order.

Delete any logical drives in reverse alphabetical order.

Delete any Extended DOS partition.

Delete the Primary DOS partition.

Decide on how you would like to partition your drive.

Make a Primary DOS partition.
Set the Primary DOS partition Active.

Make an Extended DOS partition.
Make Logical drives in the Extended DOS partition. (Maximum of three.)

When all is done press Esc to exit fdisk until you see the message asking you to re-boot and format.

When you  see the choice screen choose "With CD-ROM support" and press Enter.

At the prompt type: A:\>format c: and press Enter. Then format any Logical drives one at a time.

At the prompt type: A:\>scandisk /all /surface , and scan all drives to ensure there are no drive faults.

(This will take approximately 1 hour per 10Gb of drive-space.)

When the scan is finished put in your ME CD and start the installation.

I use a C: drive partition size of 4096Mb (4·0Gb) to install ME to as it makes the drive easy to maintain and to image.

(Has MS produced a service pack for ME yet do you know?)