Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: pc restart with siren sound  (Read 2888 times)

Gilgamesh21

Topic Starter

Intermediate

pc restart with siren sound
    « on: February 19, 2009, 11:00:01 PM »
     hello all,

The pc restarted itself and produced a continuous siren sound on booting(i cannt access BIOS, monitor is on standby) . his isnt the first time as it happened two weeks ago and i took the pc to the repair shop where they installed a new power supply, a case fan, and a 'cooling' soultion for the CPU. they said that CPU temperature was 60C and increasing when i would run a game and this was basically the reason for the prblem.

since then the pc worked fine although when i checked CPU temperature after i took it to the repair shop, it was around 55C and jumps to around 64C when running a game. but the pc was running so i thought its k.

However, this morning, i was playing a game(pes2006) when the pc restarted all of a sudden and the the same continuos siren sound appeared . i took it once again to the same repair shop where they said this could be a RAM incompatibility(there r three ram sticks one of the them is from a different manufacturer), or static electricity that could have causeed  the second appearance of the problem. they also said that this time it has nothing to do with cpu temperature or any heat-related problems.

the pc now is at the repair shop but i would like to hear an opinion on this and if it is true that 55C on startup is normal for the CPU.

note: i checked the beep codes (BIOS is AWARD) and it indicates its a RAM problem.

PC specs:

- MOBO : Albatron 865.
    - CPU  : Intel P4 2.8 Ghz.
    - Ram  : 768 mb ram.
    - VGA  : nvidia FX5500 256 mb .

thanks for bearing with me and reading this long post .

mroilfield

Mentor
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: pc restart with siren sound
    « Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 12:11:41 AM »
    First of all I would get it back from the repair shop and not take it back to them.

If you feel good enough about doing it there are plenty of people here that can walk you thru just about anything computer related. And unlike the repair shop they will only charge you a leg instead of an arm and a leg (just joking they don't charge)

What operating system are you using?

How clean is the inside of your comp? I know you took it to the repair shop but I have seen people get them back from the shop just as dirty as they were when they left.
    You can't fix Stupid!!!

Dias de verano

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 12:30:24 AM »
    By the time I get into Windows from a cold start my My P4 3 GHZ is around 30 degrees C and it rarely goes above 45-50 unless it is doing intensive work. 55 C at startup and 64 during games is quite warm, but within limits and not unusual with a cheap CPU fan.

1two3

Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 02:56:28 PM »
      This is simple, but is it in a dusty area? Like mrolifield said, it the PC clean? I always make sure my computer has a lot of space and is clean.

Gilgamesh21

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 04:35:55 PM »
        thx for replies everyone...so everyone agrees the guys at the repair didnt really do a good job cooling down the cpu..thats wat i expected honestly..nyway moving to reply..

- am using xp sp2 and the pc is relatively clean but if i will clean it once its back n see wat happens.

Gilgamesh21

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 11:47:31 PM »
          hi again...

well i brought the PC back from the repair and they couldnt fix it. They kept yammering about the RAM being incompatible and that Albatron mobo are not a brand to trust and they were surprised that it could hang until now...

nyway, i took the PC to another repair shop and he made it run again, told me that the CPU is not fixed well and that wat causing the siren sound. He also told that Albatron is a very good mobo!

all is good now except the CPU heat which is still around 47 on startup. i noticed also when the last guy at the repair shop was removing the CPU, i noticed that as if the thermal paste is kinda worn off or something..am not sure though..how can i determine if thermal paste has expired ? and is it safe to add a new dose to the cpu?

Dias de verano

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 12:08:57 AM »
          What is the temp on full load?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 08:22:14 AM »
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Gilgamesh21

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 10:36:13 AM »
            thx for the guide patio..

Dias de verano :

i believe by full load you mean when running a game...when that happens, CPU reaches 57 C .. though mobo is always around 26 and hard drive 16..

Dias de verano

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 11:41:06 AM »
            thx for the guide patio..

Dias de verano :

i believe by full load you mean when running a game...when that happens, CPU reaches 57 C .. though mobo is always around 26 and hard drive 16..

P4s run hot. My P4 (Prescott core) idles at around 45 C and prolonged 100% use will see it read 63-64 C.

57 is fine. Over 70 is bad. Over about 85 will probably shorten its life. It will perform a thermal shutdown at around 100.