Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Replacing Hard drive  (Read 1933 times)

tacr2man

Replacing Hard drive
« on: February 25, 2009, 08:02:00 AM »
I have a pc with hitachi ic35l060avv207-0 60gb ide  hard drive , which is almost full , even with all photos etc moved off to an external hard drive.
    I am intending to fit a 400gb hard drive , is it possible to do a complete copy of existing harddrive on to new one , and then remove old drive , and fit new one in its place .
    Will this drive do the job  SEAGATE HD IDE 400GB UDMA 100 7200RPM 8MB OEM?
  and would this software enable me to do the change ,  Acronis True Image Home 2009 ?
    would I need to get any extra cables etc ?
   The computer works well ,it has 1GB ram, and is Amd athlon 2.6+ , and has a high spec game card (cant remember which one )   

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Replacing Hard drive
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 08:20:03 AM »
Laptop or desktop ? ?
If it's a desktop the procedure is way simple...
Seagate drives now ship with a FREE copy of Acronis disk tools so you're in the bonus round already...
Hook up the Seagate as a slave drive.
Install the Seagate software to a folder on the existing drive (this is for rescue purposes )
Boot to the Seagate CD and select the "clone" option.
There is an option to create a Rescue CD/floppy...i suggest taking the time to do so...

This will now clone the old drive to the new Seagate.
When finished power down.
Completely disconnect the old drive for now...and connect the Seagate as master
Power up and your OS and all your apps and data should be intact.
Run it this way for a week or so until you are satisfied that everything works as it should...
You can then re-introduce the old drive jumpered as a slave drive...format it and use it for additional storage...

Best of Luck.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "