Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Good for the Price?  (Read 2318 times)

RaidX

Good for the Price?
« on: February 27, 2009, 12:30:33 AM »
Hey folks.

I've recently enquired a friend about his PC because he is selling due to him accquiring a new PC. I just need third party opinion to help me make a decision.

I currently wish to buy a PC which can manage to play games a at a good FPS level without the issue of having to restart every half an hour like my old PC use to. Games will vary, so that means the specs for the game will vary too.

Here are the current specs of my friend's PC:
  • 2GHz Processor
  • 2G RAM
  • Nvidia 6510le
  • Windows Vista

If it matters to anyone, I shall be hopefully playing games such as Call of Duty 4 and such on the PC, and I'm not sure if they can withstand with those specs hence way I'm asking on these forums :) . For the PC, he'd like £200 GBP/$285 USD (http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi).

Does anyone feel this is the right asking price for the PC with these current specs?

Thanks foryour time,
RaidX.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Good for the Price?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 04:15:19 AM »
Hello, and welcome to the forums.
My first impression is no, that's not a good deal.
However - what processor is it?  If it's an old 2GHz, like a P4, it's definitely a bad deal.  If it's recent, such as a Core 2 Duo, it's a little better.
Does it come with a hard drive?  DVD drive?  Case?

With that graphics card there's no way you'll be able to play modern games - this could be upgraded, but only if the motherboard and power supply can handle some upgrades - what motherboard and power supply does he have?

paudashlake

Hopeful

• Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 08:06:49 PM »
    no, it sounds sort of like a rip off.  Computers today should have more than an Nvidia 6510le.  Call of duty 4 would also need more processor speed.  Unless it is a dual/quad core, as Calum stated.
    Hinkle Finkle Dinkle Doo.  AMEN!! 

chevronman

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 09:28:44 PM »
      Definately not enough machine for what it sounds like you want. You could however weigh out the options of the parts it has and what the parts are that you would need to make it a gaming unit. Check on line though, there are alot of computers out there that have a fast pro, fair amount of ram, a decent HD so the only thing you might need to buy is a better video card. By the way for the $285 did that include a monitor, keyboard and mouse?

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 06:36:53 PM »
      Terrible deal and you wont be able to play any new game on that gpu