Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cannnot access files through their icon  (Read 2150 times)

dragondog

cannnot access files through their icon
« on: April 28, 2005, 05:29:53 PM »
Hello All,

I am currently ahving a problem with my file access.  I click on  my desktop icons for a specific file and my computer locks up.  When I click on the icons for my programs it's fine.  the only way to acess the files is by opening it up with the specific program used to writ it.
Also the only way to unlock teh computer without turning it off is to go into task manager and ending aprocess called drwtsn32.exe.
Does anyone know what might be causing this and how I can remedy it?

Thanks for time and consideration.    :)

pcdoc4christ

Re: cannnot access files through their icon
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 07:40:50 AM »
dragon:

The drwtsn32 executable is the Dr. Watson utility, which Microsoft describes thusly:

"Dr. Watson detects information about system and program failures and records the information in a log file. In the event of a program error, Dr. Watson starts automatically. ...To open Dr. Watson, click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type drwtsn32. Dr. Watson cannot prevent errors from occurring, but the information recorded in the log file can be used by technical support personnel to diagnose the problem. For information about using Dr. Watson, click Help in Dr. Watson."

Once you enable it, the only way to disable it is to edit the registry:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188296

CAUTION: If you edit the registry incorrectly, you may be unable to start Windows until you reinstall the operating system.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 07:42:39 AM by pcdoc4christ »