Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: The  M O S T  bizarre problem (long)  (Read 3097 times)

gnott

The  M O S T  bizarre problem (long)
« on: April 28, 2005, 07:33:49 PM »
I have been working with computers for over 10 years but right now I have the MOST bizarre problem.   I can't figure it out and I would welcome anyone's (creative) input.

I have 10 NEC Powermate Eco PCs.  If you are not familiar with these they use a Transmeta Crusoe TM5800 processor.  I have had them about a year and they have worked perfectly up to today.  They are all in the same room at my office.  I went in and turned them all on.  Three fired up as normal but 7 refused to boot.  The power light came on and the HDD light flashed for about 15 seconds and then went off.  There was nothing on the screen and no activity after the first 10 or 15 seconds.  I thought it was BIZARRE and highly improbable that all 7 would fail on the same day so my thoughts went to power.  

Now here is the bizarre part:  If I carry one of these machines to a different room in the building it boots up normally.  When I carry it back into the room it has lived in for a year IT BOOTS NORMALLY!!!  I had to do this for all 7 machines!  Carry them out, plug them in and boot them elsewhere, carry them back and they boot fine.

Is this weird or what????  I checked the all the power supplies for these boxes that wouldn't boot and they are all putting out 18.5 VDC as they should. . . in both rooms. . . ??? I am going crazy to figure this out. . . help!

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: The  M O S T  bizarre problem (long)
    « Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 11:36:08 PM »
    It sounds like a building power problem to me too.
    Possibly an intermittant wiring connection or component breaking down as the extra load is applied.
    I'd be getting that checked first before looking at the computers.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: The  M O S T  bizarre problem (long)
      « Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 11:56:52 PM »
      gnott.....Sounds like it's time to call in the ghost busters LOL.......

I agree it probably has to do with some odd surge or low voltage condition at the time you powered up the 10 pc's... Are all 10 pc's on the same circuit ? or are 7 on one circuit and the other 3 unaffected ones on a differant one ?

Let us know

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.