Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: no program associated to perform action  (Read 2950 times)

oldblues music fan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

no program associated to perform action
    « on: March 07, 2009, 01:00:28 PM »
    when i use my outlook express 6, some attachments won't open and this error box comes up with this message...............

"this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. create an association in the folder options control panel. "

i have no idea what this means and what i should do...please inform me

thanks

oldblues music fan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: no program associated to perform action
      « Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 01:04:55 PM »
      ooops........... i forgot to add that i have xp home edition version 2002 service pack 3. i have Microsoft works and word. i have realplayer and W media player.

ELVIROS

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 01:27:43 PM »
      i thought i had some issues but don't worry to much there old blues music fan these people helping us out are very knowledgable, and helpful, hang inthere ;)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 01:32:19 PM »
      Open the attachmentand or right click it to see what file extension it has...such as .jpg....  .txt
      Post the filename extension here.
      It may be a PowerPoint file or a PDF which means you will need to install an app that can open it.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

oldblues music fan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 02:52:55 PM »
        i right clicked on 2 emails that would not open and this is the only info that came up.

fw_this is fabulous!eml     pictures_of _earth.pps

merry christmas.pps unknown file type

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 02:54:59 PM »
        Those are PowerPoint presentations...DLoad and install PowerPoint Viewer

Here
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

oldblues music fan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 04:26:26 PM »
          i rode the link to powerpoint. first i downloaded and saved it to my c drive. i could not figure out what the box wanted from me when i dbl clicked the attachment on the email and the box wanted a file name. soooo i removed powerpoint from my computer. restarted my computer. rode the link again this time i ran the download instead of save. i restarted my computer. when i tried to open the email , the "open box" which stated powerpoint again gave the message " this file does not have a program associated with it etc"    yes the powerpoint was available in all programs. yes i tried to open it and the box came up asking what file name and yes  this is not my area of ex-pertee and i need help once again. hmmmmm