Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Powerpoint attachments won't open from emails  (Read 5609 times)

chevronman

Topic Starter

Beginner

Powerpoint attachments won't open from emails
    « on: March 08, 2009, 08:59:15 PM »
    Got a new computer w/ vista home premium. Have done all the updates and compatibility updates as well. I am still unable to open PP attachments that are sent to my via email. It give me the same old message to set the file association. So I right click on the attachment and it only gives me the option to open, which does not work. I hold down the shift button and right click and it still only gives me the open command, which does not work. If I save the attachments to my docs, then go into that folder it will open it just fine. I cannot get the message "open with."

What am I doing wrong?

billrich

Re: Powerpoint attachments won't open from emails
    « Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 10:31:49 PM »
    Chevronman,
    It sounds like you have followed the correct procedure.  After you save the file to your PC, point to file, right click and choose open with . . . and follow the steps.  The file association should be established when you choose to have power point viewer to always open the file. 

Point to a picture file, right click and see if the open with . . . option is available?

http://forums.devshed.com/windows-help-34/modify-open-with-option-in-windows-vista-542191.html

"In Vista, if you right click an unknown file, you should be presented with an 'Open' option and if clicked, receive the identical box as in XP:
    2 radio buttons; 1-stating to the effect, 'Use the web to find a program' and 1-stating 'Select from a list of installed programs'....

If it a known file type you should still be presented with the 'Open With...' option (at least I am on my Vista machine right now)"

p.s You might download the PowerPoint Viewer and install again.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=048dc840-14e1-467d-8dca-19d2a8fd7485&displaylang=en

chevronman

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Powerpoint attachments won't open from emails
      « Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 11:05:47 PM »
      I'll try to install the viewer again. I thought it was wierd that the powerpoint programs work flawlessly when the file is saved on my computer but when I try to view the file through windows mail it won't allow it. Thanks for the hint, when I get back to the other computer I will try that.