Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer beeps at XP welcome screen  (Read 2299 times)

Jaderz

Topic Starter

Computer beeps at XP welcome screen
    « on: March 14, 2009, 12:36:42 PM »
    .. Pardon if wrong location, I'm assuming its some hardware issue ..

My computer never makes a sound - I can't stand all that beeping racket. So when I got it I was assured it would make no sound other than the fan - Which I've worked hard to reduce to hardly any sound at all.

However, on our lovely Friday the 13th I turned on the computer and it beeped once at the XP screen. It lagged to *censored* won't have ya so I rebooted it. Then it beeped twice at XP screen but didn't lag as horrid. So I opened Internet Explorer 6 and it opened like 12 pages.. I rebooted, tried again.. Same result so I did a restore back to the 9th. Fourth try it did it again. So then I looked up what two beeps mean online and read to take the CMOS (button) battery out. Took it out for a few minutes, put it back in. Rebooted to try and it worked fine no beeps. Restarted several times and it worked just fine. Went to work for a few hours, came home and it worked like a charm.

Few hours later I turned it off for a short while, back on and it beeped and opened 12 pages. And now it's off till I can figure out whatever is going on.

I dont know the computer specs much, but I know it's got plenty of everything.

I read what 1 beep means but I can't find what it means at the XP screen. I don't have long online so if someone could please write back with as much detail as you're willing to spare.. I'd appreciate much!

I had it suggessted that a key on my keyboard might be stuck, I've checked and it isn't. It was also suggested that my computer was overheating - I felt and watched it and it felt fine to me.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Computer beeps at XP welcome screen
    « Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 08:03:57 PM »
    Seeing as resetting your CMOS did the trick the first time, I would consider getting a new battery.
    It sounds like your current one is running out of juice.

Jaderz

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 11:52:41 AM »
      Ok, so we have have a new symptom: I ran a full system virus scan, which took about 4-some hours, I went from it opening 60 pages down to 38 pages. And now it's down to opening only one page when I click on explorer. I have the internet cord unplugged so even if it is a virus, nothing can be transmitted. And it still beeps just once at the welcome screen.

Except now it loads msconfig, changes something too quick for me to notice and reboots. That is definately a virus, but I looked at msconfig and nothing starts up other than pccillin and I can't see anything new on any of the boot screens. Does anyone know the virus name or filename? Maybe I can search for it?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 01:41:40 AM »
      You're going to want to go to the Computer Virus and Spyware section and follow this:
      http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html