Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Keyboard Stopped Working  (Read 3061 times)

robyncr703

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Keyboard Stopped Working
    « on: March 17, 2009, 02:04:20 AM »
    This is really a doozie, I have a Dell Comp. and I am not real happy about that. Any way, I had a problem with my C D Burner so I called Dell it cost me 50 bucks to have them not fix it... I ended up buying a new Burner but before I did that the guy I was on the phone with had asked me if I wanted to purchase a extended warranty for a $150.00 I told him no, so he had me download this program that allows a Dell Assoc. to enter your computer and try to fix the problem well he couldn't fix it so I ordered a new one, and at this point my Key Board was working fine and had always been working with no problems what so ever. That night after being on the comp. and phone with the guy from Dell, I went to use my Key Board and nothing, I tried another key board and nothing, I tried my key board on another comp. and it works fine . I have tried to plug it in other USB ports and nothing. What really doesn't make sence is the key board works in the Bios. I called Dell and told them the whole story and they said it was a software issue and if I wanted to pay $140.00 they would fix it, I kind of told them where to go, cause it was working fine until there guy was all over in my comp.doing who knows what. I'm hoping some one knows what I can do without having to go through Dell. To anyone who cares about GOOD Customer Service then don't buy a Dell. Also if your wondering how I typed this I am using the key board in Accessibility in Win. XP not a bad option but not as good as the real thing.Thank you in advance.

Robyn

iamyourmom

Intermediate

• Blood Ravens Force Commander
      Re: Keyboard Stopped Working
      « Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 03:31:55 AM »

So what exactly is the problem?  ??? ??? ???

But with the keyboard plugged in, right click on my computer and click properties. Then click on the hardware tab and press hardware manager. See if there are any yellow ! beside anything.
      Please do not call your computer stupid when it breaks or lags. Computers can only do what they are programmed to. and thus, often it is the user that is stupid. GET MY DRIFT?

robyncr703

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 03:57:51 AM »
        I told it was and still is a KEY BOARD problem; If you read my situation you would know excatly what the problem is I thought I explained my self pretty good  Do you get it now hopefll If not it would be nice to have someone actually read it.

KingPincer

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 04:18:58 AM »
          Well for me i think the guy has something to do with this. By the way, why don't you try to go to my computer right click it then look for hardware, then click on device manager and see if there is some missing drivers. So that we could be sure if it is really a keyboard problem.

makshaw17

Rookie
            « Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 02:45:56 PM »
            I am sorry that this happened to you and I would like to help you with this. Firstly, please click on start and then click on run and type "devmgmt.msc" without the codes. You will enter device manager. Please check if there are any bangs on keyboard. If so please right click on the bang and then click on uninstall and then restart the computer. Also, please disable the on screen keyboard and then restart the computer. Please let me know if this resolves the issue. I will help you with this.

robyncr703

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 04:34:17 PM »
               I did what you said and there are no bangs on the keyboard, believe me I have been through all the troubleshooters for the keyboard and the USB and nothing has worked. The thing that gets me is no keyboard will work on my comp. but my keyboard will work on other computers, I think the guy from Dell did something, deleted a file or something. All the drivers are present and up dated, in the device manager it says everything is working. Dell also said something about it being a software problem, do you have any idea what he could be talking about?. I could reinstall my windows xp but i am not even sure that would work and I would end up loosing all my data. I have also tried system restore and that didn't work either.  I really don't know what else to do. I hope you can help, and thank you.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 05:33:54 PM »
              Since this is a USB keyboard, try a PS/2 keyboard, assuming your computer has a PS/2 plug, of course.

If not- or if the PS/2 keyboard doesn't work either, try this-

Open Device Manager (right click My computer, "Properties", Hardware tab, Device manager button)

In device manager, open the "keyboards" node (icon).

Right-Click and select "uninstall" (your keyboard might have a different name then mine, of course.) Also, if there is more then one item within the "keyboards" section uninstall all of them.

Once you've done this, reboot the computer. With any luck, windows will detect the keyboard and reinstall the proper drivers and so forth. If not, try to jog it's memory by unplugging the keyboard and wait until the PC makes a sound indicating removal. Then plug it back in. With luck, the computer will recognize the keyboard and you'll be good to go.

if none of the above work, it could be a USB issue.  To try to fix that try uninstalling all "USB root hub" and "USB controller" entries in the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" section in Device manager, and rebooting.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

makshaw17

Rookie
                « Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 05:46:49 PM »
                Let me know when you online... find me on yahoo with same

makshaw17

Rookie
                  « Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 07:23:02 AM »
                  Looks like the issue is resolved for you... I am happy for that. Please let me know if you have any more questions. I am ready to help you with that.

robyncr703

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 12:24:00 AM »
                     Yes it is  resolved, I ended up going to a web site called Just Answers and they or he told  me to try putting my windows xp cd in and boot from it and then instead of doing a reinstall to do a repair so I did and it worked. Thank you very much for your help I sure appreciate it.

Robyn