Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Question about serial ata power adapter  (Read 2554 times)

Rhonda_IN

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Question about serial ata power adapter
    « on: March 20, 2009, 07:55:08 AM »
    Good Morning!  :)

I bought a Sony DVD/CD rewriteable drive DRU-V200S off the internet after the gentleman assured me my computer was 100% able to handle this drive. I just got the package yesterday. Everythings here. I am happy with it. What I am not happy with... is it says I need a serial ATA power cable *I do not have* and if not then I can purchase a serial ATA power adapter..which is fine. I have looked on-line even went back to the shop where I bought the drive and I actually do not know what I am looking for. Also I have no clue as to how to connect the adapter for it to work

Here is info about my computer.

System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition V 202 Service Pack 3
    AMD Sempron 3000+  1.99 GHz 448 MB of RAM

I tried to find the other info you needed but just do not know where to find it.
    I hope these questions doesn't sound too ignorant...I just do not know where to go from here. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Forrest Gump was wrong. Life isn't like a box of chocolates, it's like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may burn your *censored* tomorrow, lol :)

Dias de verano

Re: Question about serial ata power adapter
    « Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 12:50:37 PM »
    Probaly looks like this. "Serial ATA" is usually abbreviated to "SATA". This is a SATA power adapter cable. It allows you to take power from a PATA (IDE) power connector.

Rhonda_IN

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 01:31:48 PM »
      That's what it looks like inside my computer... well it is connected to a long belt looking thing...but my problem is the back of the DVD/CD drive it has 2 long plugs... the one you show below will not connect to the drive...Do I need some kind of adapter to connect to mine...like your picture below to the plug into my new drive?

Probaly looks like this. "Serial ATA" is usually abbreviated to "SATA". This is a SATA power adapter cable. It allows you to take power from a PATA (IDE) power connector.

Forrest Gump was wrong. Life isn't like a box of chocolates, it's like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may burn your *censored* tomorrow, lol :)

Dias de verano

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 01:38:35 PM »
      The black connector on the left is a SATA power connector. The white connector on the right is a PATA power connector.

Rhonda_IN

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 02:45:06 PM »
        Maybe this will help better explain what I am needing/or asking.

Here is a pic of the back of the drive

And I have the image here that you posted in mine...

which I can not see how it hooks up to the drive. Or maybe it isn't as hard as I am making it out to be? How would I plug in the drive with what I have?

TheShadow

Hopeful

• Retiree in Florida
          • Yes
          • The Doctor
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 03:37:49 PM »
        Look again at that connector on the back of the drive......that's NOT just ONE plug, it's TWO.
        the wide one on the left is the power connector and the shorter one to the right of it is the SATA data cable.

You DO have SATA ports on your motherboard, don't you?

If not then you bought the wrong drive.  You will need an IDE drive, NOT a SATA drive.

Cheers!
        Shadow  8)
        Experience is truly the best teacher.
        Backup! Backup! Backup!  Ghost Rocks!

Dias de verano

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 05:37:20 PM »
        You DO have SATA ports on your motherboard, don't you?

I did wonder about this.

Rhonda_IN

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 05:44:44 PM »
          Ok next silly question....how do I find out if I have SATA ports on my motherboard?

Dias de verano

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 05:55:11 PM »
          Ok next silly question....how do I find out if I have SATA ports on my motherboard?

Tell us its manufacturer and model number, or if your computer is a store bought one, its brand and model number.

Rhonda_IN

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 06:18:59 PM »
            Emachines W3052

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 08:55:39 PM »
            If the motherboard is the K7MNF-64 which shipped with the W3052 the user manual lists SATA connectors as being "Optional" :'(

The only way to find out is to get into the case and have a look.

A zipped pdf user manual can be downloaded from here..  Other marketing sites list the specs with ide only.

Good luck.
            One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.