Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: comp wont resond tell i bring up task manager by hitting ctrl alt delete  (Read 8796 times)

kerr45

Topic Starter

Rookie

hello this is my first post so bare with me the other day i came home started my comp seemed to boot fine  but as soon as i moved mouse the task bar disappeared and wouldnt come back up after a while i figured out if i hit ctrl alt delete  and bring up task manager it will start to respond yet when i bring firefox it will freeze untell i minimize it then it will respond again one more time so with every click it will stop responding tell i minimize a restore doesnt seem to be windows i reinstalled it and still the same thing also i have another hard drive and just unplug one to use the other it is doing the same thing have no idea what the problem is please help thanks in advance its an acer t180  Acer EM61SM/EM61PM BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD R01-A4 04/27/2007 2.80 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

billrich

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kerr wrote:

"Hello,
    This is my first post so bear with me. The other day I came home and I started my computer and seemed to boot fine.  But as soon as I moved mouse the task bar disappeared and wouldn't come back up.  After a while I figured out if I hit Ctrl alt delete and bring up task manager it will start to respond . Yet when I bring firefox up the computer will freeze until I minimize Firefox  then the computer will respond again one more time so with every click it will stop responding until I minimize the screen. A restore doesn't seem to be windows I reinstalled it and still the same thing. Also, I have another hard drive and I just unplug one to use the other and it is doing the same thing. I have no idea what the problem is. Please help. thanks in advance its an Acer t180  Acer EM61SM/EM61PM BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD R01-A4 04/27/2007 2.80 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT "
    [/color]

Are you using the Vista Operating System?
    1) What Anti-virus do you use. Run it now.
    2) Clean your machine.
    start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, click Disk Clean up.
    3) Run your anti -ad ( malware program )
    4) Clean your registry : http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/cleanup.htm

When you looked at the Task Manager was the CPU at 100%? Many computers run at 100% for a few minutes when you first boot.  Wait a few minutes and then try firefox or IE7.  Keep your eye on the task manager CPU indicator at the lower right. ( After you start the Task manager leave  the Task manager  on for a while.

Good luck. If the above did not fix your problem, someone here will suggest further steps.
    « Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 05:04:32 PM by billrich »

kerr45

Topic Starter

Rookie

im running xp home on one hd xp media edition 2005 on one and windows 7 on another all are having same issue have tried disk clean up ran avg virus no infections i did a fresh install on one of the hard drives and issue is still there even tried a umbutu live cd and had same problem so im thinking it has to be hardware yet havnt changed anything for quite somtime did install new cpu about a month and a half ago from a 4200+ windsor to 5400+brisbane updated bios and everything worked great from the start tell this happened as far as i can tell bios seems fine and seems strange that a malfuctioning cpu would just freeze firefox and not internet explorer have also noticed vlc player while still working i cant use the pause skip or advance a video anymore very strange i know also system restore wont restore to past  dates

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      If it is happening under all 3 OS's then either the hard drive is going South or possibly bad RAM
      DLoad the FREE diagnostics from the HDD manuf. site...
      To check the RAM DLoad and run MemTest...let it run at least 2 hours...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

kerr45

Topic Starter

Rookie

i dont think its the hard drives the odds  of all three going bad at the same time seem real high i have three hard drives but just use one at a time unplug one then plug in the next memory could be the problem i have three one gig stick perhaps i should take all out and test each by itself to see if one is causing this though i got to say wouldnt think memory would cause the things that are  happening but im pretty new at this never really had problems before thanks for your reply

kerr45

Topic Starter

Rookie

ok getting really strange took out mem sticks put just one in booted up and task bar responded which never happened before yet firefox still froze and wouldnt respond tell i bought up task manager using ctrl alt delete still only one click then unresponsive and after reboot task bar is unresponsive again thinking it isnt memory every stick acts the same way did i mention internet explorer works just fine go figure

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          To check the RAM DLoad and run MemTest...let it run at least 2 hours...

kerr45

Topic Starter

Rookie

downloaded and ran memtest86 no errors memory good

JJ 3000

Egghead
            • Experience: Familiar
            Save a Life!
            Adopt a homeless pet.
            http://www.petfinder.com/

kerr45

Topic Starter

Rookie

ran diag and checked disk for errors none only did one seeing how this is happening on each disk others should be fine as well

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              ran diag and checked disk for errors none only did one seeing how this is happening on each disk others should be fine as well

LOL.

gotta love the logic there...
              I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

kerr45

Topic Starter

Rookie

yes well perhaps im be illogical but im being told to check memory it is fine asked to check hard drive it is fine im only using one hard drive the one i checked others arnt even plugged in so tell me how they could have anything to do with the problem i understand you guys are the experts and im begging for help but surly you dont think a toltally unplugged hard drive could affect another seeing how this is happening on each hard drives im trying to use one as a test subject and not going back from one to the other i honestly dont think this has anything to do with hard drives or memory but if somone can explain how all three could be broken when none have ever been plugged in at the same time im all ears and even if one is while this one isnt how could that affect this one i understand comps are fickle beasts and im just a newbie but thats why im here asking the computer gods right

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                • Certifications: List
                • Computer: Specs
                ahh, ok, that makes sense.

Thought they were all in at once for some reason, IE triple booting. Didn't read your previous post regarding the drive swapping.

how about posting a hijackthis log?

hijackthis

Also is your taskbar set to autohide? it wouldn't explain the "not responding" but it would explain the taskbar hiding itself.
                I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                Replace the IDE cables.

Replace the keyboard.

I also didn't spot that you had multiple drives...lack of punctuation causes facts to run together.

kerr45

Topic Starter

Rookie

yes my bar is set at auto hide but have tried to reset it to know avail still no response tell i hit ctrl alt delete downloaded hijack this is what came up hope it helps Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
                  Scan saved at 10:21:23 AM, on 3/23/2009
                  Platform: Unknown Windows (WinNT 6.01.2904)
                  MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.7000.0000)
                  Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
                  C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rundll32.exe
                  C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
                  C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
                  C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
                  C:\Program Files (x86)\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
                  R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.fmtcs.com/
                  R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
                  R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
                  R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
                  R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
                  R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
                  R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
                  R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
                  R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
                  F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
                  O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
                  O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
                  O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
                  O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
                  O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
                  O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
                  O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~2\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
                  O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PinnacleDriverCheck] C:\Windows\SysWOW64\PSDrvCheck.exe
                  O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
                  O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
                  O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
                  O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
                  O13 - Gopher Prefix:
                  O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
                  O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
                  O23 - Service: ASP.NET State Service (aspnet_state) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_state.exe (file missing)
                  O23 - Service: AVG Free8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~2\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
                  O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~2\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
                  O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
                  O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
                  O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
                  O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
                  O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
                  O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe (file missing)
                  O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
                  O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
                  O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
                  O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
                  O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
                  O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
                  O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
                  O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
                  O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
                  O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
                  O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
                  O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
                  O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
                  End of file - 5880 bytes
                   thanks for your reply