Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Drive Data Problems  (Read 1870 times)

kings6

Drive Data Problems
« on: March 23, 2009, 03:36:42 PM »
I'm trying to install an update from the Microsoft Update Website but I am unsuccessful, because it says I don't enough free space on local disk (C):  I'd say that it was about a year ago that I self installed a Seagate ST3300631A-RK 300 GB hard drive on my Sony Vaio Computer. When I open up My Computer it shows in Properties of local disk (C): 138 MB of free space out of a total of 14.9 GB. In the local disk (D): it shows 112 MB of free space out of a total of 113 GB. Did I do something wrong when I installed the Seagate drive and if I did is there a 
solution to my problem.     

dud_pod

Starter

Re: Drive Data Problems
    « Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 06:18:55 AM »
    clear out some space - 100 odd meg per partition just isn't enough at all
    in the drive where windows is installed - you should have at least 3 gig free

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Drive Data Problems
    « Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 06:56:32 AM »
    C: = 15G
    D: = 115G
    Total = 130G.

Sounds like you hit the 137G barrier in Windows setting up the drive as you are not using approx 160G...

The best alternative would be to backup all your data and/ or use an image program to create an image of the C: drive.
    Then use the drive manuf. tools to prepare the drive using all the unused space and then clone the C: drive back to it.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "