Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "Windows did not start successfully" Relooping Screen on my XP Desktop  (Read 5107 times)

ThatGuy123

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Well basically my problem is recently I've been trying to start up my computer and it keeps looping thought a screen.

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change night have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your filed and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous start up attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Star Windows Normally

Use the Up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

That's the screen my computers on. So fare I tried clicking safe mode, Last known Good Configuration and Start Windows Normally it just restarts and loops back to this screen.

After this kept re curing I tried to System Recovery but the screen just freezes and nothing happens. For now I'm going to keep this open on System Recovery.

I'm currently using a desktop by HP and I'm running Windows XP

Its a HP Pavilion a1106n
    « Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 02:32:03 PM by ThatGuy123 »

ThatGuy123

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Bump. I hope somone can give me soem advice. All my school files were on that desktop D=.

darhblader

Beginner
        sounds like you have a corrupted boot file. do you have your os disc?

ThatGuy123

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Im sad to say I dont have any of my CDs since my computer was bout about 5 years ago. Back then I was sort of slacker-offish and I forgot to save it being naive I thought nothing would happen. >.<;;

So im not really sure what to do. I've been stuck on the system restore screen for like an hours .

Its stuck at a back ground with a moon and a mountian backfall. Its just that screen saver and nothing else.

darhblader

Beginner
            in the recovery screen is there any option to repair startup?

if not you either need to get your hands on an xp disc which has that repair functionality or somehow back up your files (we'll come to that if it has to) and recover it

darhblader

Beginner
              sorry misread your reply. can you perhaps take a picture of the screen your on and post it cause im a bit comfused on what type of recovery you are on

ThatGuy123

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Well by system recovery I mean on the start up screen of the computer where you press f10 so your computer gets reset to the way you got it when you first used it.

Im trying to find my cousins XP Disk. But please keep posting other replies. Also I cant post my screen cause my computer doesnt let me get past the loading screen. So I get up to the black screen then the options pop up and it loops to that screen. So I haven't seen my desktop.

darhblader

Beginner
                  and it freezes on that screen?

to be your best bet would be to use the startup repair of an xp disc. thats the standard fix for that type of problem and to be honest i've never had to repair that kinda thing any other way cause ive got loadsa random xp discs lying about. (which i too have lost alot of :-p)

if you have access to another computer with internet there are things you can download and burn to disc which will help. (im not saying where but i think if i give a wink wink you'll know what i mean hopefully ) :-p

ThatGuy123

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Well I have a laptop Ill guess I'll ask my friends if they have any XP disks or try to burn it off the laptop if it has a burner.

darhblader

Beginner
                      you dont have it dual booted with another operating system? (long shot)

ThatGuy123

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: "Windows did not start successfully" Relooping Screen on my XP Desktop
                        « Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 04:28:52 PM »
                        To be honest Im not even sure what that means. Im not really that far into technical work on a computer.

darhblader

Beginner
                          « Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 04:38:35 PM »
                          thats probably a no then sorry. you best bet would be an xp installation cd with start up repair thing on it

that will 99 percent likely fix your laptop.

sorry i cant offer a quicker solution

andy

ThatGuy123

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 04:44:12 PM »
                            Well thanks for you help and its a desktop ._.