Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: lost hd space  (Read 2196 times)

twill

Topic Starter

Starter

lost hd space
    « on: March 28, 2009, 11:24:20 AM »
    I have been cloning drive with jump drives that were already formated. All the drives you get now are SATA.
    My old computer is PATA so I bought a 250g hard drive. I forgot to format this drive before cloning it. It now shows up as an 80 gig hard drive. Is there any way to get this drive back to the way it was when I got it? I contacted WD and they said to write zeros to the drive which I did but it only did the 80 gig.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: lost hd space
    « Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 11:41:44 AM »
    DLoad the Data Lifeguard Tools from WD.
    Thet can write zeroes...partition...resize and format a drive,
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

twill

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 03:11:56 PM »
      Thank you for the reply. I have that program, I'm not saying it won't fix my drive but I can't get it to see anything but 80 gig. But then if I were smart I wouldn't be asking for help.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »
      Easus Partition Manager

The Home Edition is FREE and works great.
      Best of Luck...and let us know.

NOTE: All data will be erased so backup.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

twill

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 06:25:08 PM »
        I downloaded easus and tried for 2 days and it still only sees 80 gig. Maybe some old dos program will fix it. I guess it is a lost battle. Thank you for your help.

BaRR

Beginner

• Certifications: List
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 06:48:26 PM »
          There's a possibility that the drive was actually an 80 gig hard drive, but labeled as 250 gig. This seems to be a scam that happens every once in a while. Also, if you purchased it at a store, someone may have swapped the two drives out to get the 250 gig at a cheaper price for themselves. If the drive was actually broken, it would just not show up, or show as 0 bytes. It should never show as a smaller size than labeled unless it was a fake/swapped. In addition, 80 gigabytes is a valid hard drive size, so this just further adds to the chance it was fake or swapped.

Sometimes, they include a file on the hard drive that makes the drive look like a larger size to the OS, so when you formatted it, you may have removed this file and caused it to show its true size.