Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can read cd but not games?  (Read 8400 times)

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Can read cd but not games?
« on: April 02, 2009, 10:38:36 AM »
I was gonna play whit a friend online so I got my game and when I put the Cd in it dident read it...
but when I used my Logitech it will suddenly read it, but I have been available to read game before I reinstalled the computer bc of mouse problems...

Ps: the game is on DvD the program is on Cd, it is a Dvd reader.
and don't know if need update, I don't know what it is and I think I have never update it...
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

macdad-

Expert

Re: Can read cd but not games?
    « Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 11:44:07 AM »
    The CD laser may be busted.

NOTE:In CD/DVD Drives there are two lasers, one for CD's that has a larger diameter and one for DVDs with a smaller diameter lens.
    If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    « Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 12:03:53 PM »
    It might be... But i try my Pray and it cant start it or find it in the (F:) [My Cd reader] but when I start IsoBuster it find the dvd...

Ps: I have a expansion to the game witch is not working and it wont work ether, there is no scratch and the dvd is not damage.
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 12:05:05 PM »
    IsoBuster

and how does Isobuster fit into this whole equation?
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    « Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 12:10:32 PM »
    I was trying to get the game working so I try to see if I can get it to a .Iso file and mount to deamon tools and install the game...
    but I cant play online then so I kinda lose the point why I wonted to install the game  :-\

*EDIT*
    But I now know that the Dvd reader is not damage... sort of  :P

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 04:35:13 PM »
    If it is a DVD reader only it's about 5 years old minimum and probably needs replaced...
    Brand new dual-layer DVD Burners are about 40 Bucks shipped from newegg.....
    Time to mow some lawns.... ;)
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    « Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 03:39:27 AM »
    Well I don't think I will buy a new one. this one I had for 2-3 years and only used it 3 times... 2 times for a game and 1 time for reinstall the computer... and then I use the computer 7-9 hour a day.

So i guess I can live whit out a Dvd reader.

But thx for the help anyway. 

Clarkcj

Rookie
      • Yes
    « Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 12:09:18 PM »
    Are you sure there are no cracks in the games disc? And or is the disc dirty becasue sometimes that may cause CDs not to be read. If its dirty you can clean it with some soap and water and wipe it dry with a soft cloth. Or if there are cracks you might want to get a disc repairer machine which I think they only run about $20.00. If those don't work you may want to get a new DVD/CD drive.

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    « Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 02:12:46 AM »
    It might be... But i try my Pray and it cant start it or find it in the (F:) [My Cd reader] but when I start IsoBuster it find the dvd...

Ps: I have a expansion to the game witch is not working and it wont work ether, there is no scratch and the dvd is not damage.
    Are you sure there are no cracks in the games disc? And or is the disc dirty becasue sometimes that may cause CDs not to be read. If its dirty you can clean it with some soap and water and wipe it dry with a soft cloth. Or if there are cracks you might want to get a disc repairer machine which I think they only run about $20.00. If those don't work you may want to get a new DVD/CD drive.

Well I said there was no scratch and if there was any I would rather use some metal polish to fix the scratch.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 03:27:02 PM »
      The CD DVD laser may be busted.

NOTE:In CD/DVD Drives there are two lasers, one for CD's that has a larger diameter and one for DVDs with a smaller diameter lens.

and:
      If it is a DVD reader only it's about 5 years old minimum and probably needs replaced...
      Brand new dual-layer DVD Burners are about 40 Bucks shipped from newegg.....
      Time to mow some lawns.... ;)

but if you bought extended warranty or the warranty is still good then you can get it replaced.
      If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
      « Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 03:55:42 AM »
      ok... now I am clueless.

I was puting in my B&W 2 dvd just bc I was bored... the installation window come up... and I'm 100% sure it's a dvd, my old cd driver cant read it so now i know that its nothing wrong whit the Dvd reader

but I tried some more games and abut 50% it could read and 50% it could not read.

So do any one have any idea whats wrong?

Ps: the games did only have 1 or 2 scratch.

**EDIT**

I think it can be a heat problem. None of the dvd are working right now.
      and I have my computer on for 3 h. But will start tomorrow whit a game and see if it work...
      « Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 04:46:46 AM by Frejoh466 »

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 07:54:34 PM »
      I was puting in my B&W 2 dvd just bc I was bored... the installation window come up... and I'm 100% sure it's a dvd, my old cd driver cant read it so now i know that its nothing wrong whit the Dvd reader

If it's a DVD, your CD drive won't read it no matter how hard you try.

but I tried some more games and abut 50% it could read and 50% it could not read.

Please list specifically all of the discs you've tried, which worked and which didn't. This information is important if you want any real help. Specifically, what games, programs, etc. you've tried.

I seriously doubt it's a heat problem. If you're generating enough heat to make the DVD stop working properly, the drive is the least of your problems and you'd probably be seeing more symptoms than just this.

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
      « Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 12:27:16 AM »
      well it's not a heat problem...

I dunno what reader I got now but it is a Cd/Dvd reader bc I got this one for a while ago, just because I wonted to install a game...

but here is the strange thing yesterday 50% of the games worked now it 0% who will work... It's like my dvd reader got it own life.

here are some games I tried yesterday.

Star war empire at war                                                      (This game did work yesterday)
      Star war empire at war Force of corruption                               (This game did work yesterday)
      Farcry 2                                                                              (This game did NOT work yesterday)
      Fallout 3                                                                             (This game did work yesterday)
      Black and White 2                                                              (This game did work yesterday)
      Black and White 2 battle of the gods                                 (This game did work yesterday)
      Oblivion                                                                        (This game did NOT work yesterday)
      The Settlers - Rise of an Empire                                         (This game did NOT work yesterday)
      The Settlers - Rise of an Empire - The Eastern Realm             (This game did NOT work yesterday)
      Grand theft auto 4                                                             (This game did NOT work yesterday)
      Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X                                                         (This game did NOT work yesterday)
      Assassin's Creed                                                                (This game did work yesterday)

Ps: I will try to find what Cd/Dvd reader I got.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 02:26:23 AM »
      Sounds like you need a new drive since you said nothing's working.

Anyway, I noticed that all of the games listed that came on CD (SW: EaW, B&W) worked for you while the others all were published on DVD 5 didn't work. FO3 and Assassin's Creed, which were put out on DVD 9 (dual-layer discs), seemed to work fine.

I had a DVD player that had a similar fault, in which it could only read discs that were DVD 9 and not DVD 5 after a while. This proved to be a fault in the lens and I found it easier to just replace the whole player.

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
      « Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 04:57:52 AM »
      but if you say it is so why aren't some games working today then?

Star war empire at war                                                      (This game do NOT work today)
      Star war empire at war Force of corruption                               (This game do work today)
      Farcry 2                                                                              (This game do NOT work today)
      Fallout 3                                                                             (This game do work today)
      Black and White 2                                                              (This game do NOT work today)
      Black and White 2 battle of the gods                                 (This game do work today)
      Oblivion                                                                        ((This game do work today)
      The Settlers - Rise of an Empire                                         (This game do NOT work today)
      The Settlers - Rise of an Empire - The Eastern Realm             (This game do NOT work today)
      Grand theft auto 4                                                             (This game do NOT work today)
      Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X                                                         (This game do NOT work today)
      Assassin's Creed                                                                (This game do work today)

It's kinda weird that the games work some times and don't work...
      but I will try later and see if any game will work...
      But in the end i guess ill buy a new driver...  :-\