Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: restore ghost image to larger drive  (Read 3279 times)

Paul Hen

restore ghost image to larger drive
« on: May 06, 2005, 11:00:56 PM »
Given the expert help recently granted to me, I have another issue for any input available from one and all. I had a 17GB SCSI drive fail yesterday which was my OS C: drive running Win XP SP2. I also had a 9GB SCSI on the same cable. I removed the card and bth drives from the box I back up with Ghost 2003 in DOS with no drive marking. I restored an image of the 17GB to a 120GB drive. I believe ghost should resize automatically. It seems restore went OK but I can't get windows to load. I tried safe mode and the drivers start to load but before it gets to the log in screen it dies and reboots. one other small point - the 120GB is actually a new 160GB drive, 7200 running on a card. When I first got it, there was a problem the outcome of which was Maxtor said it was too much of a hurdle to restore the "missing" 40GB. But it has been running fine otherwise, but as a storage slave drive. Help!!

Paul Hen

Re: restore ghost image to larger drive
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 11:04:15 PM »
Oops - meant to ask - anyone think this can be Win XP locking me out of the OS due to too many hardware changes (drives, SCSI card, OS drive size) versus its "mapping" of my system?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 09:25:21 AM »
...I restored an image of the 17GB to a 120GB drive...

17GB is SCSI, 120GB is IDE?  If, yes, I suspect that's the problem:  restoring SCSI drive to IDE drive.  The 120GB/160GB mismatch is due to your BIOS limitations.

Paul Hen

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 04:16:37 AM »
Thanks to you both for the assistance.