Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP Needed With External Hard Drive  (Read 2040 times)

katmat

Topic Starter

HELP Needed With External Hard Drive
    « on: April 04, 2009, 02:00:38 PM »
    I am using a Mac Mini (Power PC), OS X, Version 10.5.6 with a Seagate 500 GB Free Agent External Hard Drive.

Here is my problem...

I always use my external hard drive for my iTunes library, pictures, home movies, etc.  It is always connected and always on.  However, STUPID, stupid me disconnected it today and connected it to my daughter's PC (running Windows XP).  I was trying to remove a large 17 GB AVI file that my husband put on her computer.  I hooked up my drive and of course, Windows XP didn't see it.  So, I went in (with the help of the 'if you don't already know this - you shouldn't be doing this' Windows Wizard) and gave it a drive name, etc.  Basically, I think I "partitioned" it and reformatted it for a PC.

Now, my Mac will not recognize it.  It does say "S.M.A.R.T. Status: Not Supported." 

Okay, I think I get what dummy me did - I reformatted my external hard drive to a PC.  My question is, how do I reformat it back to my Mac - WITHOUT ERASING what is on it?  My stuff is still on there, as it says there is only about 232 GB available, which means it's still there.

Would someone HELP me?????  I'm not the best with computers (and apparently not the sharpest crayon in the box today) and I am really scared that I have just lost my entire iTunes library, all of my home movies, pictures, etc.!

Thank you for reading this and for any help/advise you can offer!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: HELP Needed With External Hard Drive
    « Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 02:28:52 PM »
    Formatting or "reformatting" destroys all data...sorry.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

katmat

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 12:45:07 PM »
      Thanks for your response.  However, my data was not lost...I downloaded a program called Data Rescue II and it got back everything I had on the external hard drive. Whew!! :-*

Thanks again!

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 01:42:02 PM »
      Proof, once again, that sometimes, it's better to be lucky than good!   ;)

(I oughta know...   ::))

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"