Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Downgraded XP (SP3) can't find audio drivers (high def audio bus)  (Read 42319 times)

Mark747

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hi all,

First of all, FANTASTIC forums and website here!

Well after almost a week of banging my head on the wall to get Vista off my new laptop (HP DV5-1140tx) I've finally got XP installed up to SP3 level (slipstreamed disk was SP2, download of SP3 fixed a number of driver issues).

My problem now is that I can't get sound.  The sound card is integrated into the motherboard and doesn't have it's own driver, and the Intel website doesn't have a driver for it (I do know what chipset I have, although that's not really helpful in this case it seems).  The HP website has a driver for it, but that's for Vista and doesn't work (I tried it).

I can't find any suitable driver on the MS website.  Having said that, when I start my computer Windows knows that there's some sound hardware there but can never find the drivers for it - and I've just run out of places to look.

It appears that there's two items in Devices that are having issues:

1.  IDT High Definition Audio CODEC (listed as "Device Cannot Start")

2.  Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus (listed as "The Device is not Configured Correctly")

I'm so close, and am actually feeling rather happy that I've managed to conquer this challenge so far - but now i'm just at a total loss.  Could it be that there simply is no suitable driver and I'm forced to go back to Vista for sound?  Or is there somewhere I haven't looked - or a driver I haven't identified correctly?

I've done an Everest scan although that doesn't give me much in the way of clues - I can post some results from that scan if it helps?

Any advice on how to solve this problem would be fantastic (I've done a lot of searching already).

Cheers all,
    Mark

P.S.  In case it means something, there's also another three items in Devices with issues, noted under "Other Devices":  three of them are just listed as "Base System Device", and the last is "Unknown Device".

I've tried using Driver Detective to figure out what they are but can't really tell, and I've read so many negative reviews about that software that I'm very hesitant to part with the money for it.
    « Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 04:49:42 PM by Mark747 »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Downgraded XP (SP3) can't find audio drivers (high def audio bus)
    « Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 04:56:01 PM »
    Oh, my. I would like to help. But my kind of help is seldom welcome here. I am the one who is going to tell you what you already know. You are on an uphill climb.
    I once posted on this forum this topic:
    'You can swim with sharks, but you can not put XP on a Vista Laptop.'

And I got reasons why you may or may not fool the sharks. But many seemed to think installing XP was just a matter of getting few drivers. Well, swimming with the sharks is really much easier. Sharks make shards of fingers or toes,  but Installation of XP on a VISTA only laptop blows brains!
    Now watch, here come the software sharks. They will insisste that the XP instalation is not that hard!  8)

Mark747

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 05:06:30 PM »
      Howdy,

You're right, it's a "steep" uphill climb.  But having said that I'm near the top, and everything seems to be running wonderfully except the sound.

So if anyone has some input on that it would be much appreciated!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 05:56:31 PM »
      Now watch, here come the software sharks. They will insisste that the XP instalation is not that hard!  8)

After doing it myself three times with two friends laptops and more recently my own, I am yet to discover what you are rambling on about.

regarding the current issue I had to search around for the audio drivers for XP 64 for my laptop (the XP32 and Vista ones were right on the site, just like all the other laptops I've downgraded.

for your sound driver first you'll need this:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp33501-34000/sp33867.exe

And then install the driver:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/13706/eng/AUD_allOS_5790.3x_5713.7v_PV_IDTGUI_v83.exe

But many seemed to think installing XP was just a matter of getting few drivers.

It is. IF we're lucky, they are all on the manufacturers site- if not, we need to go to the actual hardware vendors themselves.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Mark747

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 06:24:28 PM »
        Hi BC,

The first file seemed to install fine, although I did note that it was for WinXP SP2, whereas I'm on SP3.

The second file started its process and threw up the error (box title was "Configuration IDT Audio Driver and Applications") :

_ExitError: Error=Device Object not present, restart the system and run setup again

I've restarted and run setup again without luck.
        I'm trying to backtrack from your links to find the first tile which relates to SP3, but no luck.
        And the second file I gather is from the Intel site, although I just can't figure out what category it's from.

Any further assistance would be much appreciated.
        Thanks again,
        Mark

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 06:30:27 PM »
        alright, try th UAA bus driver here:

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND-CARD/OTHER-SOUNDCARDS/Microsoft-UAA-Bus-Driver-for-High-Definition-Audio.shtml

note that XP drivers for SP2 will work fine in SP3.

try the second driver link again- it might work after installing this UAA driver.

the description page for the second link is here.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Mark747

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 06:32:21 PM »
          Some additional information - after the attempted install of the above files, I tried having Windows install the drivers via the Device Manager section.  There was a big yellow question mark next to the High Def Audio Bus so I attempted to load the drivers, it appears to download and start installation, although gave an error of:

This Device Cannot Start. (Code 10)

Hopefully that means something to someone.

By the way, I'm not just blindly waiting for answers here (although I'd appreciate assistance from those more knowledgable than me), but when I get new errors or information I'm searching my behind off for a solution.  Just thought I'd throw that in so you know I'm not leeching off everyone. Cheers all.

EDIT:  I see you've posted again while I've been typing, will try those new links and report back.

Mark747

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 07:24:27 PM »
            Same problem again with the new download file.
            I'm now at a loss.

Do you think it matters that the second file you've listed is supposed to be for a desktop machine?
            I'm using a laptop.  Not sure of exact motherboard type, although i know the chipset if that helps.

JJ 3000

Egghead
            • Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 08:26:34 PM »
            Can you give us the Everest report?

Open it, click Computer, then Summary.
            In upper menu, go Report>Quick Report-Summary
            Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
            Don't include anything under line Debug - PCI
            Save a Life!
            Adopt a homeless pet.
            http://www.petfinder.com/

Mark747

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 09:35:10 PM »
              Hi JJ,

Here's the Everest report.  Luckily perhaps, I have a second completely identical laptop (my partners) which has Vista still on it untouched - if you'd like me to do a similar report on that one just let me know as it might have a bit more information.

Oh, and with regards to the latest UAA file for Windows XP, I believe the latest version is 1.0a, a file called "kb888111xpsp2" , which I've already installed.  Just throwing that bit of info in in case it's relevant.

Here's the Everest report you requested:

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version                                           EVEREST v2.20.405
                  Homepage                                          http://www.lavalys.com/
                  Report Type                                       Quick Report
                  Computer                                          C3P0
                  Generator                                         Mark
                  Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
                  Date                                              2009-04-10
                  Time                                              13:30

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
                    Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
                    OS Service Pack                                   Service Pack 3
                    DirectX                                           4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
                    Computer Name                                     C3P0
                    User Name                                         Mark

Motherboard:
                    CPU Type                                          Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2533 MHz (7 x 362)
                    Motherboard Name                                  Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion dv5 Notebook PC
                    Motherboard Chipset                               Unknown
                    System Memory                                     3072 MB
                    BIOS Type                                         Insyde (09/18/08)

Display:
                    Video Adapter                                     GeForce 9600M GT  (512 MB)
                    Video Adapter                                     NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT  (512 MB)
                    Monitor                                           Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB]

Storage:
                    IDE Controller                                    Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller
                    Disk Drive                                        WDC WD3200BEVT-60ZCT1  (298 GB, IDE)
                    Optical Drive                                     Optiarc DVD RW AD-7581S
                    SMART Hard Disks Status                           OK

Partitions:
                    C: (NTFS)                                         295420 MB (286267 MB free)

Input:
                    Keyboard                                          Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard with HP QLB
                    Mouse                                             PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network:
                    Network Adapter                                   Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN
                    Network Adapter                                   Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E GBE NIC  (192.168.2.11)
                    Modem                                             Agere Systems HDA Modem

Peripherals:
                    USB1 Controller                                   Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2934 [NoDB]
                    USB1 Controller                                   Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2935 [NoDB]
                    USB1 Controller                                   Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2936 [NoDB]
                    USB1 Controller                                   Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2937 [NoDB]
                    USB1 Controller                                   Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2938 [NoDB]
                    USB1 Controller                                   Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2939 [NoDB]
                    USB2 Controller                                   Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293A [NoDB]
                    USB2 Controller                                   Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293C [NoDB]
                    USB Device                                        USB Composite Device
                    USB Device                                        USB Video Device
                    Battery                                           Microsoft AC Adapter
                    Battery                                           Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers,
              Mark

Mark747

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 09:38:38 PM »
                A bit more info and or questions:

- Will it help to try reinstalling the graphics drivers from the Intel site - will they have an audio compenent to them?  I've got a dedicated graphics card though, so not sure what use that will be.

- There's no setting in my BIOS for activating onboard functionality that I can find.  Bugger.

UPDATE: tried installing the graphics drivers for my mobile motherboard (I assume it was the correct board) and it said my computer didn't meet the minimum requirements.
                « Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 10:42:32 PM by Mark747 »

Mark747

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 10:11:01 PM »
                  Here's the Everest report for the VISTA machine we have (identical laptop - bought at same time).  There's a few differences, not sure if it'll help though:

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version                                           EVEREST v2.20.405
                      Homepage                                          http://www.lavalys.com/
                      Report Type                                       Quick Report
                      Computer                                         My womans name...
                      Generator                                         My womans name...
                      Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows Vista Home Edition 6.0.6001 (WinVista Beta)
                      Date                                              2009-04-10
                      Time                                              14:05

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
                        Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows Vista Home Edition
                        OS Service Pack                                   Service Pack 1
                        DirectX                                           4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
                        Computer Name                                     My womans name...
                        User Name                                         My womans name...

Motherboard:
                        CPU Type                                          Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2533 MHz (7 x 362)
                        Motherboard Name                                  Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion dv5 Notebook PC
                        Motherboard Chipset                               Unknown
                        System Memory                                     3068 MB
                        BIOS Type                                         Insyde (09/18/08)

Display:
                        Video Adapter                                     GeForce 9600M GT
                        Video Adapter                                     GeForce 9600M GT
                        Monitor                                           Generic PnP Monitor [NoDB]

Multimedia:
                        Audio Adapter                                     High Definition Audio Controller [NoDB]

Storage:
                        IDE Controller                                    Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller
                        IDE Controller                                    JMB38X MS Host Controller
                        IDE Controller                                    JMB38X SD Host Controller
                        IDE Controller                                    JMB38X SD/MMC Host Controller
                        IDE Controller                                    JMB38X xD Host Controller
                        SCSI/RAID Controller                              Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
                        Disk Drive                                        WDC WD3200BEVT-60ZCT1  (298 GB, IDE)
                        Disk Drive                                        TOSHIBA TransMemory USB Device  (7 GB, USB)
                        Optical Drive                                     Optiarc DVD RW AD-7581S
                        SMART Hard Disks Status                           OK

Partitions:
                        C: (NTFS)                                         295420 MB (264830 MB free)
                        D: (NTFS)                                         9820 MB (1748 MB free)
                        Total Size                                        298.1 GB (260.3 GB free)

Input:
                        Keyboard                                          Microsoft eHome MCIR 109 Keyboard
                        Keyboard                                          Microsoft eHome MCIR Keyboard
                        Keyboard                                          Microsoft eHome Remote Control Keyboard keys
                        Keyboard                                          Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard with HP QLB
                        Mouse                                             HID-compliant mouse
                        Mouse                                             Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad

Network:
                        Network Adapter                                   Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
                        Network Adapter                                   Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 5100  (192.168.2.9)
                        Network Adapter                                   Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
                        Modem                                             Agere Systems HDA Modem

Peripherals:
                        Printer                                           Microsoft XPS Document Writer
                        USB1 Controller                                   Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2934 [NoDB]
                        USB1 Controller                                   Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2935 [NoDB]
                        USB1 Controller                                   Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2936 [NoDB]
                        USB1 Controller                                   Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2937 [NoDB]
                        USB1 Controller                                   Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2938 [NoDB]
                        USB1 Controller                                   Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2939 [NoDB]
                        USB2 Controller                                   Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293A [NoDB]
                        USB2 Controller                                   Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293C [NoDB]
                        USB Device                                        HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth 2.0 Wireless Technology
                        USB Device                                        HP webcam
                        USB Device                                        USB Composite Device
                        USB Device                                        USB Mass Storage Device
                        Battery                                           Microsoft AC Adapter
                        Battery                                           Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

Mark747

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 10:40:39 PM »
                    Again, just in case it helps, here's a copy of my Device Manager...  (I checked the rules for the forum, didn't mention anything about not posting images... sorry if I've got that wrong.)

Mark747

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 12:56:47 AM »
                      Another query: how many drivers should I be searching for?

My research has come across this diagram from MS:

So I gather that I need:

1.  A driver for the UAA HD Audio Class Driver portion, and

2.  A driver for the HD Audio Bus Driver portion (I believe that's the KB888111 file, which I got from MS and on installation it said I already had a newer version), and

3.  A CODEC of some description.

Does anyone know if the above is correct? 
                      Is 1 and 2 actually a combined driver?
                      I'm just not sure which company supplies which driver...

Apparently my system isn't on the AC'97 standard either, but something newer.  Perhaps there's just not a driver available for me...

Again, any assistance appreciated.  Thanks guys for the help so far.

Mark747

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 01:22:17 AM »
                        I downloaded the IDT HD Audio CODEC from here:

http://download.cnet.com/IDT-High-Definition-Audio-CODEC/3000-2110_4-169457.html

Still no joy.
                        It did load after I pointed the Update Driver process to it (and I almost jumped for joy), although the result is this:

I gather the codec would be fine if the hardware would just setup properly - does that sound right?
                        I'm further assuming that if the MS UAA HD Audio driver has told me it couldn't install due to it being up to date already, then all that's really left is some kind of hardware driver.

So that's probably an Intel thing given that I've got an integrated sound "thingo" on the processor/motherboard (sorry if I'm not technically correct - computer internals aren't my strong point).  There's no standalone sound card in my machine.  But... which driver do I need for this - if I'm correct.

The search continues...

I'll say it again... any assistance here would be so far beyond fantastic...  hehe