Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: file zilla ...site wont change...files do...site doesnt  (Read 4905 times)

mbg19chev02

Topic Starter

Rookie

file zilla ...site wont change...files do...site doesnt
    « on: April 11, 2009, 11:07:08 AM »
    Hello, I am trying to change the font size of a page on my site. I connect to the site with file zilla using the following steps:

1.) I open file zilla.
    2.) then i type the host name (blablabla.com) the username (*********) and the password (********) and the port (****) then i click quick connect.
    3.) this now connects and it does let me see all the files. i get access and ability to change on the right side (the site side).

my two main questions now are :

1.) How do i make it show when i access the site because it is not (even if i delete the whole site name folder the site is still there)

2.) Do i have to set up the FILE> "SITE MANAGER" with the user information too..... even though i can see and change the files on the right side (the site side) and it even though it connects. (Is setting up the "site manager" required in order to finalize changes or something.

please help   , thanks

Custom-IT

Beginner

Re: file zilla ...site wont change...files do...site doesnt
      « Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 12:09:23 PM »
      Hi,

I use FileZilla too but i'm not sure what you are talking about...

Any time you change or upload files to your server the files will automatically be time and date stamped. But I think you are talking about something else...?

Could you try and re-describe your question please?

It would be a good idea to add your server and connection details to the 'Site Manager' as this will save you some time if you frequently update your website.
      Custom I.T. Computer Services
      www.custom-it.co.uk

BaRR

Beginner

• Certifications: List
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 02:53:54 PM »
        I had to read it several times, but he's saying that when he uploads a file, it gets uploaded to the server, but the file does not actually change when he visits the website on his computer.

Possible reasons and fixes:

Reason: Your computer has a cache of your website and isn't getting the newest version of the page.
        Fix: Try clearing your temporary internet files. If you don't know how to do this, ask and I'm sure many others here will be willing to assist.

Reason: You could be uploading to the wrong directory.
        Fix: My own hosting company has two directories. One is named "www" and the other is named "html_files" and if I upload to the "www" directory, it will instantly get replaced by the backups in "html_files." Thus, I need to upload the files to "html_files" in order for the system to properly replace the files on the server. If you are not sure which folder you should be uploading to, most companies have a customer support you may contact for help, or if they have one, check the FAQ.

-- There was one more I wanted to mention, but now I forgot. Oops.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 02:58:19 PM »
        Other possible reason:
        He does not have Admin access to the site...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BaRR

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 03:09:07 PM »
          Other possible reason:
          He does not have Admin access to the site...

I didn't think of that one.

If you are in fact the owner of the website in question, you can contact the webhost to confirm that you have administrative privileges. If you do not, the files may appear to change, but in fact are not changed on the server. Although, generally I would think that FileZilla would throw some sort of "Access Denied" error if this was the case. However, different servers respond in different ways, and it may not be sending the correct response.

mbg19chev02

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 08:11:59 AM »
            hey thanks for all your help guys....its all set....my problem was the domain name and the directory destination were different. someone changed my domain destination.

anyways....who knows about Google Adsense and who uses it?
            (yes i know they have a help video section but this narrows it down by getting personal help)
            my questions are:

1.) can i make a blog site for free on many different sites (example geocities.blablabla.com) and implement the Google Adsense into them. (this will give me much more clicks)

2.) second question is can i click these ads myself that i already have on my site? Or will i get in trouble  :)

3.) if i can click these ads and they just track ip addresses then couldn't i just use a proxy program to change my ip multiple times.

4.) a better question then number 3 is how does google track the clicks?

thanks a bunch to everyone who helps and cares.... happy easter  :)

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 09:20:40 AM »
            1.) can i make a blog site for free on many different sites (example geocities.blablabla.com) and implement the Google Adsense into them. (this will give me much more clicks)

Yes.

2.) second question is can i click these ads myself that i already have on my site? Or will i get in trouble  :)

DO NOT click on your own ads!

3.) if i can click these ads and they just track ip addresses then couldn't i just use a proxy program to change my ip multiple times.

Not recommended.

4.) a better question then number 3 is how does google track the clicks?

They use cookies that apparently don't expire until 2035.