Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I have a virus? that wont let me boot up  (Read 3523 times)

pdudenhefer

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I have a virus? that wont let me boot up
    « on: April 14, 2009, 07:08:01 AM »
    hi folks,
    Im running XP pack 3 on a toshiba laptop satelite 85. While searching a site on auto repairs I got a message pop up from my virus program(avira) telling me there was a virus in the page and did I want to deny access-I said yes and it popped up about 5-6 more times before I could click out of page. I thought by denying access the problem was solved but I ran malwarebytes and avira to be sure. Malware found nothing but avira found 2 viruses which I chose to quarantine. Avira told me I have to restart the computer to complete the action-which I did. When it rebooted and got to my desktop page there were no icons but a small window that said -to protect your computer data execution prevention has closed microsoft front page server administrator client-it gave me no choices except to click close then another window asked if I wanted to send this error to microsoft. I did.
    I rebooted in safe mode and ran every virus program I have to no avail-I tried restoring to another save point but it kept saying it did not go back to that point so nothing has changed.  But I do have a popup alert that tells me I have a virus and starts scanning on its own from a site called bonuspromoofer.com.
    I may have screwed up big time cuz I went to safe mode as admin and ran sysdm.cpl and made dep accept front page, rebooted and computer came on perfect again, so I started malwarebytes again and as soon as I did a popup came up and said you have a security prob.-do you want to scan for viruses and before I can react it goes to a scan page and starts scanning-I cannot stop it short of physically turning off the computer.
    now I cannot even start in safe mode-it goes to user page and when I click my name it says loading and then logs off immediately then jumps to saving settings and repeats user page.
    I am at wits end -someone please help me-thank you

Shandy

Intermediate
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: I have a virus? that wont let me boot up
      « Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 07:34:19 AM »
      Oh my, what a mess. From your post I think I was able to gather that you can no longer start your computer without some sort of scan running? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

First of all, I advise you never to use scanners and "magical-fairy-super-speed-up-PC" crap from the internet. Half the anti-virus etc programs out there are actually just blatant advertisement programs, with many telling you that you have a virus when in-fact you don't, or you do, but only because the "scanner" program installed it itself and then offers to remove it at a cost to your visa.

Any way enough ranting. Try to organize your post down to just what happened, what you have tried and what still works.

Can you create a Hijackthis log?

pdudenhefer

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 08:44:15 AM »
        thanks for the reply
        I didnt download a scanner the virus or bug in the computer did-only way for me to stop it was to physically turn computer off.
        I cant run any programs because I cant get past the user page. Even my toshiba rescue cd and avira rescue cd only brings me to the user page and I can go no farther.
        Pete

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 10:38:49 AM »

pdudenhefer

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 11:15:51 AM »
          Broni-they sent me to windows-said they couldnt help until I was back on line and you folks could get me back on line

Broni

Mastermind
          • Kraków my love :)
            • Computer Help Forum
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 11:17:56 AM »
          1. If you have Windows CD, follow the steps from here: http://icrontic.com/articles/repair_windows_xp

2. If you don't have Windows CD...
          Download Windows Recovery Console: http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso
          Download, and install free Imgburn: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
          Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
          Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
          When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
          Then, follow the steps from here: http://icrontic.com/articles/repair_windows_xp, starting below this picture on page 1: