Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP!!! I NEED A PASSWORD REWRITE  (Read 3509 times)

Vivace

Topic Starter

Rookie

HELP!!! I NEED A PASSWORD REWRITE
    « on: April 15, 2009, 06:28:03 PM »
    My brother recently gave me his old computer (Windows XP), but as fate has it has forgot the password to it. Natyrally i could restart everything on it, but their are many files and programs that I installed or stored on his comp when he let me. Is there any way to rewrite or erase the current password without having to go through risky procedures or tedious programming?

PS: I am a noob at computers, so I hope to learn from problematic solutions and avoid the same.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: HELP!!! I NEED A PASSWORD REWRITE
    « Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 06:56:17 PM »
    Welcome to the forum.
    It is very important to use a password you can remember, buy not something that others would guess. Next time write you password on the back of something you always carry with you. Like a card listing your medications or something like that.

Meanwhile, we recommend that you contact the manufacture of the computer for the best way to reset the password. How to do this depends on what method was used and what computer you have and some other variables. Using the wrong method could result is lose of data or even making the PC dysfunctional.

Of course, that does not always happen, but I would not want to take the responsibility of causing you lose something that is very valuable to you and would cause you pain.

Contact the maker of the PC and provide the serial number and model number. In most cases they will not change you for the information if you provide a return e-mail address. And you may need to give them some addition information, such as a where you where you bought the computer

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 04:12:21 AM »
    For more information, see here: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000172.htm

computer taco

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 04:02:06 PM »
      at the login if it is the XP normal login (the one with the list of users and such) you could type in a wrong pass word, then press crtl alt delete twice (sometimes more) and it will bring you to a backdoor login.  from here login with the default name (it will probably say admin or something like that dont enter a password. login and from their change the settings.

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 04:04:40 PM »
      at the login if it is the XP normal login (the one with the list of users and such) you could type in a wrong pass word, then press crtl alt delete twice (sometimes more) and it will bring you to a backdoor login.  from here login with the default name (it will probably say admin or something like that dont enter a password. login and from their change the settings.
      That's a bit foggy...some say that only works on XP Pro, some onl on XP Home, some say it's admin, some say that it's administrator, some say no password, some say the same as the username...
      Where's MagicSpeed?
      Quote from: 'matt'
      He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

Mulreay

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 05:40:52 PM »
      Hello mate hope this message finds you well, I'm no expert but I do have some experience with passwords. I think this is a bit more along the lines of what you need.. No it's nigh on impossible to retrieve passwords from programmes. This is not exactly right but I was told they were 'shadow files' that you cannot access. you cannot get passwords out of a programme because that's why they are passwords. You could do more damage than good my friend. Unless you have a system password reminder or you know it... your *censored* out of luck my friend.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 06:25:03 PM »

That's not a backdoor. when you install XP. it asks you to enter an administrator password. If this is left blank, there isn't one.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.