Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need to install 32-bit XP virtual machine over 64-bit Vista  (Read 3829 times)

zulubanshee

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    Need to install 32-bit XP virtual machine over 64-bit Vista
    « on: April 16, 2009, 06:25:20 PM »
    Just checking to see if there are any problems I might encounter or things i should know. Can you still buy a license? How much if you happen to know.

I have to install a couple of custom .net programs that won't work on 64-bit.

Using VMWare by the way.
    « Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 08:35:09 PM by zulubanshee »

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Need to install 32-bit XP virtual machine over 64-bit Vista
    « Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 09:54:01 PM »
    Technically, you are required to purchase a second Microsoft Windows license before you run it on a virtual PC.

Now, since you obviously have a PC with Windows already, and since your obviously not a business, and since its not you installing Windows on a separate physical machine:
    If you have an older CD, before Windows Genuine Advantage, you can use that and not have serious license issues. Just dont install any Windows updates... disable them completely. Preferably, if you can, dont even let the VPC connect to the internet.

zulubanshee

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Need to install 32-bit XP virtual machine over 64-bit Vista
      « Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 11:58:00 PM »
      I don't object to buying an XP license. I never thought about my old xp pro disk. I need to connect to the internet though. The app uses the internet.