Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC Shuts Down On Its Own  (Read 3258 times)

fbales

Topic Starter

Starter

PC Shuts Down On Its Own
    « on: May 02, 2009, 07:25:50 AM »
    I have this weird problem.  I have a home built PC with a Pentium D, 4 gigs mem, 250G Maxtor HD.  This rig is about 2 1/2 years old, and the problem's been occurring less than a year.  I'm wondering if its the PSU since I replaced it about a year ago.

Problem: It just shuts down, and I can't turn it back on until I unplug it and plug it back in.  It is intermittent, going weeks without doing it, then it'll do it a few times a day for several days.  It sounds weird, but it happens a lot just when I sit in my chair (and there are no cables, etc., near my chair).

I'm no expert at a PC, but I can generally figure out, and fix, problems I have.  This one, though, has me stumped.

Frank

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: PC Shuts Down On Its Own
    « Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 07:42:48 AM »
    Best way to test this Frank would be to borrow a known good PSU and swap it in there to see if the issue goes away...
    I'm assuming you get no error messages since you didn't mention it so chances are it's the likely culprit.
    The only other thing that causes this other than RAM issues (not likely without BSOD's or error messages) would be overheating.
    For this remove a side panel and do some housekeeping inside. Use a can of compressed air paying special attention to the heatsinks and fans.
    Use a QTip to hold the fans in place when blasting them as you can damage them letting them spin up.
    Let us know...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

fbales

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 04:49:21 PM »
      Thanks Patio. You're right--no error messages. I wondered about overheating myself, but it wouldn't start up right away just by unplugging it and plugging it in again, would it?  And it doesn't explain it shutting down when I sit in my chair, which happens often. I also wondered if I could be full of static, or something weird like that.  Anyway, I do keep things pretty clean inside my case. I don't have a power supply around that I trust, so I'll have to buy a new one. Maybe I'll upgrade the fans too.  Thanks again for the quick reply.

Frank

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 08:49:56 AM »
      You're Welcome Frank...and Welcome to CH !

BTW stay awayfrom those 20 dollar special PSU's...their nothing but a waste of time...

fbales

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 07:27:07 AM »
        Thanks.

Have you ever heard of a screensaver causing a PC to shut off?  I think the Google Picasa screensaver is the problem. I need to test it a little more, but since I turned off the screensaver it hasn't done it again.

And thanks for the welcome; glad to be here.  :)

Frank

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 07:41:12 AM »
        There was another screensaver other than the one you mentioned that exhibited this behaviour so yes that could be the problem.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 11:12:15 AM »
          Along the screensaver notion--is it possible that this screensaver is linking to either a shutdown or hibernate sequence?truenorth

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 11:19:27 AM »
            i think it may be a heat issue its possible.
            Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

SeamusFerrell

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 03:56:16 PM »
              I have some tips in my link http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,82832.0.html if overheating is the issue.  To sum them up:  Clean it out of dust bunnies, check the fans, make sure you have good air flow (don't shove the case against a wall), remount the heat sink.  The last one you may not be comfortable with as it involves taking a razor or the like to the CPU, but it is actually pretty easy.  I think my problem is a PSU, but nobody is yet to give me a better suggestion.

maaz

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 04:26:07 PM »
                i am having the same problem but not yet solved so please do tell me if you overcome this issue..Please

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 05:32:46 PM »
                  you probably need a larger heatsink but dont jack someone else's post.  ;)
                  Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                  • Certifications: List
                  • Experience: Guru
                  « Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 03:58:20 AM »
                  i am having the same problem but not yet solved so please do tell me if you overcome this issue..Please
                  Please start a new topic.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                  • Certifications: List
                  • Experience: Guru
                  « Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 04:02:08 AM »
                  Before concluding that it's an overheating problem, we must see your temperatures.