Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2nd Opinion on an old PDA  (Read 2021 times)

Gregg123

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

2nd Opinion on an old PDA
    « on: May 07, 2009, 07:45:53 AM »
    Hi,
    I posted this on another (inferior!) site, but no one would give me an answer specific to the PDA I am actually asking about.

Hopefully someone here can give me an answer regarding my Compaq IPAQ 3970 - I am sure the answer must be in the technical data somewhere, but I cannot find it. Even if I did it might as well be in Chinese!!

Thanks in advance!

I have an old Compaq Ipaq 3970 which I allowed to discharge and lost all the data.
    I sent it to a Data Recovery Company to see if any recovery was possible, they came back and said it was not possible:
    'This device uses ram flash memory therefore as soon as the power is lost all data is lost and does not exist to be recovered'
    Conclusion: No recovery possible

However my IT guy in the Office said that apparently the Conclusion is a contradiction RAM would normally lose data when it loses power & Flash Memory would keep at least something.

I have no idea who is correct, so I thought I would try a second opinion from you guys!!
    If my guy is correct should I get a second recovery firm to take a look or is there no hope?

Thanks again!

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: 2nd Opinion on an old PDA
    « Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 10:04:51 AM »
    I think your I/T person is closer to being correct! 

RAM is generally temporary memory. 

Flash memory will generally "hold" but I'm hedging -- I suspect, given a long enough time frame, that even flash memory will degrade.  I also imagine sometimes errors and things happen, too.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 10:16:54 AM »
    Flash memory probably has a limit but it's yet to be experienced- most of the time flash memory dies from too many write cycles.

However they might have made a typo, and the device might NOT use flash memory, which seems a bit silly if you ask me.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 10:20:01 AM »
    Oh, man...if the PDA ran from RAM only, that would su -- not be good!   ;)

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"