Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What can I use on a netbook?  (Read 3937 times)

fishtank

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

What can I use on a netbook?
    « on: May 07, 2009, 10:02:01 AM »
    I am a regular desktop PC user who uses Photoshop CS, Excel and Word etc. I'm looking to buy a laptop or netbook for first time and am seriously considering Samsung NC10. It has Windows Home XP on it, 160GB storage and 1GB memory. I realise it doesn't have a cd/dvd drive so am thinking of getting a LG slimline external DVD RW drive with Lightscribe as I am a singer and record and print my own cds regularly.

Does anyone know if using these 2 together it would be possible to:
    Download Photoshop (and lots of simpler) software onto the netbook?
    Watch DVDs and listen to cds?
    Add extra memory to speed up the processor?

I know these might seem obvious questions, so thank you for your patience!
    Cheers
    Fishtank

Mulreay

Re: What can I use on a netbook?
    « Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 11:21:28 PM »
    I'm looking to buy a laptop or netbook for first time and am seriously considering Samsung NC10. It has Windows Home XP on it, 160GB storage and 1GB memory. I realise it doesn't have a cd/dvd drive so am thinking of getting a LG slimline external DVD RW drive with Lightscribe as I am a singer and record and print my own cds regularly.

Does anyone know if using these 2 together it would be possible to:
    Download Photoshop (and lots of simpler) software onto the netbook?
    Watch DVDs and listen to cds?
    Add extra memory to speed up the processor?

I know these might seem obvious questions, so thank you for your patience!
    Cheers
    Fishtank

I can't see why not it all depends on what you want, but what you have said sounds sufficiant. Any external drive will normally work the same as any other internal drive as long as you have the right drivers which should come with it.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 12:58:04 AM »
    A netbook is just like any other laptop, which is like any other desktop computer but less customizable.

In other words, you can do all you mentioned except speed up the processor. Depending on the hardware, you may be able to get an extra gig of RAM.

Netbooks usually come with the N270 Intel Atom Processor. This cannot be changed.

fishtank

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 02:39:17 AM »
      Thanks to you both - that's very helpful! I researched a bit more last night and realised the screen is smaller than I thought, didn't realise the dimension was measured diagonally across the screen and not across the width, so not sure that model would be right for what I need after all. Shame because I really liked the sound of that one!

I knew I should have dragged myself off the computer and into town to actually look at them...

There's my advice to anyone wanting to buy something new - do a bit of research so you know basic things to look out for, then go and look at potential models, then research that model on net for reviews! Lots of messing but might be worth it over time.  :D

Cheers
      Fishtank

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 03:22:33 AM »
      Tip: Look at the screen resolution as well as screen size.

For example, some programs require screen resolutions of 800x600 or more. Some netbooks are not capable of displaying this resolution, thus the program will ether function incorrectly, or not at all.

fishtank

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 03:24:58 AM »
        Good point thanks!

Fishtank