Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Hard Drive Problem  (Read 2499 times)

Nita

Topic Starter

Rookie

External Hard Drive Problem
    « on: May 09, 2009, 03:26:55 AM »
    Hey everyone!

My Maxtor external hard drive which I bought not long ago is now playing up. I saved a lot of my files on there and unfortunately for me I never got around to backing it up. I've been meaning too but due to my studies I just figured it would be alright to leave it till later. I now realise what a big mistake that was. I have most of the files saved on my computer which is a good thing but quite a lot of my photos and music are saved on this external drive. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't be so stressed about this issue. You can't get back memories. Searching around on the web, it seems like there is a very slim chance of retrieving my data unless I'm willing to fork quite a lot of money to have it professionally retrieved. As of the moment I can see all my files on the external drive on one laptop. I was able to save a few things before an error messages started to pop up. It reads:

Windows - Delayed Write Failed
    Windows was unable to save all the data from the file F:\$Mft. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

I've tried viewing the data from this drive on other computers. One computer (Windows Vista) requires me to format the drive while another computer (Windows XP) will detect the drive but when I open it I can not see any of my files there. Only this laptop on which I'm typing on right now let's me view my files. I'm hoping this is a good thing. I can't save anything however, either an I/O error pops up or it does nothing when I right click.

Details:

500GB Maxtor Basics External Desktop Hard Drive. Its compatible with Windows Vista, XP and Mac OS X 10.4.8 and higher. It works with USB 2.0 and 1.1 ports. It has a high speed of 7200 RPM and it plugs into a power outlet.

The laptop that is able to read the external hard drive is a HP Pavillion dv6000. Windows XP.

It also makes noises occassionally, which I know is not a good sign.   

If anyone has a suggestion on how I could savage my files, I'm more than willing to give it ago. What more can I lose? Although in saying that I have read some responses to others who have experienced dying external hard drive where they have mentioned freezing their drives could get it to work again momentarily. I'm not too keen on giving that one a try. I mean it has a low success rate and factoring into consideration that I don't have luck on my side and the fact that once I freeze it and it doesn't work, I will be left with no hope at all. I don't think even the professionals with their amount of knowledge and expertise would be able to retrieve it if if was in that state. So I hope someone out there knows of something that I can give a try. ^^Sorry for long post and thanks in advance.

Nita
    « Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 04:21:56 AM by Nita »

pst33l

Rookie
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: External Hard Drive Problem
    « Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 06:46:51 AM »
    Wow that is a buster, so you've lost all of your information, i think it would be under a NFTS file system, you should try opening it up on a MAC system or a LINUX system, that should look through and see what's the problem is anything occurs do scan to fix on the MAC system if you try MAC, should be able to see your files, i don't know about transferring but try hehe, like you said what else can you loose :P

Thanks, Please keep me posted!
    E: [email protected]

Regards,

Pst33l.

Nita

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 01:51:38 AM »
      Hey thanks for the reply!
      I'll give it ago and keep you posted.

JJ 3000

Egghead
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 01:55:08 AM »
      Give this a shot
      http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Good luck!
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/

cengbrecht

Beginner

• Yes
        • Memory Express
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 02:21:01 AM »
      If not already having tried it.

You could also pull the drive out of the portable case, mount it into a actual computer and try using http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=29
      That tool is usually great if the drive is failing but will still read on the inside of a computer.

If indeed the harddrive has failed and it is not just a connection between the computer and the external case then that will not help.
      And you will need a professional device to do it for you.
      E=mc˛ -- Who knows if this applies, but hey everyone will think I am smart now!

pst33l

Rookie
      « Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 03:09:51 AM »
      You would need a professional indeed, you can try at your own risk, removing the case and putting the hard drive in your computer connect it and see what data it shows :)
      E: [email protected]

Regards,

Pst33l.

Nita

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 04:24:14 PM »
        So I plugged it into a Mac system today and well, let's say it wasn't a success. The hard drive wouldn't turn on, therefore the computer wasn't able to read what's on it.  I haven't tried the other suggestions yet but will give it ago once I get home.

Edit: I don't know if trying the other suggestions is possible now. Now this computer (Dell, Windows Vista Basic) won't read it. The power is on but the drive doesn't show up on the computer. Also, the noise that the external drive was making before has changed. I'll see if it will still work at home. If not I think I would have to go to a professional. Has anyone used a data recovery service before and if you did approximately how much am I looking at? I know it's expensive and dependent on other factors such as data but I just wanted a rough figure to see whether its worth it.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 04:35:41 PM by Nita »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 04:41:03 PM »
        About drive freezing.
        This is a technique used when the spindle or the stepper is stuck. It does not cause permanent damage to the platter.
        It is possible that the interface and power supply of the eternal enclose are weak or marginal. Putting the drive inside a Desktop may be the best idea. This is what the professional people will try.