Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: any suggestions  (Read 2410 times)

ramblinranger

Topic Starter

any suggestions
    « on: May 09, 2009, 11:13:03 AM »
    I am running xp home on with an older desktop, I recently wiped all the users and left one with an administrator password. On a reboot, it asks for the administrator info, then takes me to a screen with xp professional and asks me for a password where the user name is "Owner".  Now I can get into the computer using safe mode and Ive tried to tweak the user settings, but they are only for administrator, not for xp pro.
        To make things worse, I tried to to wipe my hard drive and start over, Its probably time for that anyway, When I put in the xp home disk, it starts the process, I accept it and then it tells me it cant read the disk and to put a windows disk in the drive, Ive tried 2 xp home disk and a newer vista disk, trying to wipe the hard drive. My question is... Is there any other way to format my hard drive? my disks arent working.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: any suggestions
    « Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 11:24:29 AM »
    Are you doing it right? Booting from the CDs?

There should be no problem formatting the drive via the Windows Setup.

ramblinranger

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 11:47:09 AM »
      I accept the terms with f8, it acts like it is loading something, and then tells me my disk isnt a windows disk. Ive tried it a number of times, I actually have 2 xp home editions, and a new vista disk. I get the same thing with all. Is there not another way to format? maybe with a zip drive?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 03:27:27 PM »
      And where are these Windows CD's from ? ?
      It should ask you to wipe/create partititon on bootup...
      Some of the Sharpie versions of Windows will skip this important step.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "